Hey there trusty panel of experts,

Looking to get a translation the last part of Isaiah 53:5 (i think):

"... by His wounds we are healed."

or even better would be to substitute the 'we' for 'I':

"...by His wounds I am healed."

Also, sorry to be a bugbear, but if anyone could throw a translation in for:

" My hope rests in God"

that would be fantastic :)

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

The whole verse in the Vulgate is as follows:

Ipse autem vulneratus est propter iniquitates nostras;
attritus est propter scelera nostra:
disciplina pacis nostræ super eum,
et livore ejus sanati sumus.

The last bit, for which the KJV has "by his stripes we are healed" refers in the Latin to the discoloration associated with injury.

To make it singular ("I am healed" rather than "we are healed") we would say:

Et livore ejus sanatus sum.

(assuming that the "I" in question is masculine; if feminine it would be sanata).

I am interrupted at this time (that dratted real world again). If no one else picks it up, I'll try to get back to the second part of your question later this morning.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

"My hope rests in God" would likely be:

Spes mea in Deo (est).

If this were a motto, or something similar, the est would likely be omitted.

I know that this particular phrase has some Masonic significance, but I can't tell you exactly what (being a good Catholic boy myself). Any Masons out there who can tell us about this?

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Things like that really irritate me...

the omitting of words that actually make the sentences make sense...

its like that in a lot of mottos and stuff.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Spes mea in Deo est" is indeed a Masonic motto. It appears in the insignia for 32nd-degree Scottish Rite (which is the highest degree the vast majority of Scottish Rite Masons attain, 33rd being more of an honorary thing). I remember this phrase because my stepdad is a 32nd-degree and used to have the insignia on his car...I don't remember if he still does.

As for omitting "est", there are plenty of other languages where the copula can be omitted (for example, in casual Japanese). This is no big deal if the idea can still be understood.

Beyond that, why must every utterance be a complete sentence in the first place? We say plenty of things in English that aren't complete sentences. Remember that language exists for communication and not the other way around; grammatical rules are a convenience, but can be broken where it promotes better understanding.

A

Anonymous

thank you

Hi all,

thank you for your contributions thus far, i really appreciate it and look forward to any more help.

Just a question on the Vulgate translation Iynx, i know the KJV quotes "stripes" some other versions quote "by His scourging", but since we don't use the term 'stripes' in the original context these days, i was really after a translation using the word 'wounds'.

If this is possible, please let me know. I appreciate your effort, tim and patience.

Peace,
[jeremy]

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Et vulneribus eius sanati sumus."
Note that I don't put "j" in for consonantal i as Iynx did.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I agree: if you want to say "wounds" specifically vulneribus is a good choice.

Using a j for consonantal i is very common in ecclesiastical Latin. Either ejus or eius is fine as far as I'm concerned.

In summary, what you may be looking for is:

Et vulneribus ejus sanatus [or if feminine sanata] sum.