Can someone give me sentences to translate? I need practice.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Trades is in the wrong form; it is future indicative, "you will hand over", whereas you need an imperative, "hand over".
I think the English should be "hand over this letter to Theomnestus"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

si dilgenter studueris, multa disces et valde doctus fies... ego epistolam scribam ad amicum meum qui in Academia scholas habet
If you will have studied diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academy.

Standing on the steps of the temple, he caught sight of a great procession, proceeding into the forum
stans in gradibus templi, conspexit magnum pompam procendentem in forum
"The academy" and gradibus are now correct; but please read my last post again, because there are some things that I mentioned which you've left uncorrected.
He found father putting together things. He said 'we'll go to the port and look for a ship which will bear you to greece.
invenit patrem conponentes res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam
Componentes doesn't agree with what it should. What do you think "putting" should agree with? Who does it refer to?
When you will have arrived to athens, hand over this letter to Theomnestus, he will recieve you kindly and look after your studies. The gods will protect you.
Ubi adveneris athenis trades hanc epistolam theomnestus accipiet te benigne et curabit tua studia. Dei servabunt te.
I'm sorry, there's one more mistake here that I forgot to mention in my last post for some reason (though I had seen it): Athenis is in the wrong case.

Also, do mark Cinefactus's post.

Seamus

si dilgenter studueris, multa disces et valde doctus fies... ego epistolam scribam ad amicum meum qui in Academia scholas habet
If you study diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academy.

Standing on the steps of the temple, he caught sight of a great procession, proceeding into the forum
stans in gradibus templi, conspexit magnum pompam procendentem in forum

He found father putting together things. He said 'we'll go to the port and look for a ship which will bear you to greece.
invenit patrem conponentem res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam

When you will have arrived to athens, hand over this letter to Theomnestus, he will recieve you kindly and look after your studies. The gods will protect you.
Ubi adveneris athenas trades hanc epistolam theomnesto accipiet te benigne et curabit tua studia. Dei servabunt te.

Seamus

If you study diligently, you will, learn many things and you will become very learned. I will write a letter to my friend who has a school in the academy.

stans in gradibus templi, conspexit magnam pompam procendentem in forum

invenit patrem conponentem res. ibimus inquit ad portum et petemus navem quae feret te ad graeciam

Ubi adveneris athenas trade hanc epistolam theomnesto accipiet te benigne et curabit tua studia. Dei servabunt te.

Also, in latin, would you say "I am pleased by the cow" or "The cow pleases me"
([cum] vacca placeo) or (vacca mihi placet)?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Also, in latin, would you say "I am pleased by the cow" or "The cow pleases me"
([cum] vacca placeo) or (vacca mihi placet)?
"vacca mihi placet".

Although, "vacca placeo", with or without the "cum", does not mean "I am pleased by the cow". "vacca placeo" would either (depending on whether the "a" in vacca is long) mean "I, a cow, please (someone)", or "I please (someone) by means of a cow".

Since "placeo" takes the dative, the construction that is equivalent to "I am pleased" is really awkward (it would theoretically be something like "a vacca mihi placetur", but I doubt that's attested anywhere, because it's really weird). So never use this, just say "vacca mihi placet."

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

L+S doesn't give any examples.

Seamus

Would you translate as placenta mihi placet as I am pleased by the cake or The cake pleases me?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It's literally "The cake pleases me". In good English you might say "I like the cake".

whizzball1

I'd like to be a part of this; however, I'm accustomed to most, if not all, of Latin grammar at this point. Should I create a new thread?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'd like to be a part of this; however, I'm accustomed to most, if not all, of Latin grammar at this point. Should I create a new thread?
Yes, probably best, since your sentences will be at a higher level than Seamus'.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

"Hannibal's soldiers, who liked elephants (use a construction with "placet"), led 80 big elephants to Zama (Zama, Zamae, f.), near which the Romans had pitched camp."

(pitch camp: castra ponere)

Seamus

milites hannibalis, quo elephantis placuerunt (who were pleased by the elephants), octoginta magnos elephantos ad zamam duxerunt, prope quos romani castra (I know it's always pl., but is it 2D neuter or 1D fem) ponuerant.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

No. As I said above, you never say "who were pleased by the elephants".
And "quo elephantis placuerunt" does not in any way mean "who were pleased by the elephants".

Review our whole conversation above regarding the use of "placere".

One little thing is that "Zama", being the name of a city/town, does not take some prepositions:
Romae: "at Rome", (NOT "in Roma")
Romam: "to Rome", (NOT "ad Romam")
Romā: "from Rome", (NOT "ab Roma")
So Zama is constructed the same way.

I meant "which" to go with "Zama".
"castra" is indeed neuter plural, so you have it correct.
"ponuerant" is not correctly formed. (wrong stem)

Seamus

milites hannibalis, quos elephanti placuerunt, octoginta magnos elephantos zamam duxerunt, prope quam romani castra posuerant.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

quos elephanti placuerunt
This is still not correct. Placere takes the dative (if it can help, think about it as "to be pleasing to someone").

Also, it's more likely that they liked elephants habitually, so placuerunt isn't in the most likely tense.