Cave Fverom !

A

Anonymous

Hi all.

Just been reading through the posts on translations. Really interesting how much debate there is about translations and the different answers that come back (and the history behind them).

I got interested in Latin and found the site because I was trying to translate a sentance that I saw in a tattoo on someones arm. I'm finding it fascinating and i've found numerous sites that are really interesting but I still never found out what it means - so if anyone can put an end to my search i'd be grateful !!!!!

The sentance is "Cave fverom patientis" (my spelling could be off).

I think it's latin as I recognised "Caveo" as beware - like in "let the buyer beware". I have subsequently found "Patientis" could possibly be interpreted as "patient, much put upon, etc". However, I have drawn a total blank on "fverom".

Can anyone shed any light on this ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether with it being Latin !!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes their time to reply.

Speak soon.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Could this have been written all in capital letters as CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS? If so, the V is a block capital for U, and the phrase is Cave furorem patientis - "Beware the fury of a patient (man)".

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

"Beware the fury of a patient man" in English is, I believe, John Dryden,
Absolom and Achitophel i: 1005 (I do not have the actual text at hand).

I suppose that this may have been a paraphrase of Publius Syrus: Furor fit læsa sæpius patientia. "Fury quite often arises from an injured patience".