CHALLENGE: 350+ yr old baptismal record in good condition

Kcastle13

After teaching myself French to read the Quebec Catholic Church Records as part of my family tree research, I now come across Latin in the same records.

I would be ever so grateful if someone could help me transcribe and translate the attached baptismal record of my 8th great-grandfather, Jean Bouchard dit Dorval (top left), born in Sillery (now part of Quebec City), from Latin to English. I've tried to transcribe/translate what I could but I like to be as thorough as possible and do the whole record. What I have so far:

Transcription:
Anno Domini 1652 novebribis 21 ego Petrus Bailloquet societis sacerdos cæremonias adhibei in Ecclesia ???? infanti ???? antia domi baptisato ob ???? ut ???? instantis nato de ???? Claudio Bouchar qui ra iam mutato nomine Dorval nuncupant et Mauguarta Benard patrinus et matrina ???? Ioannes Hayot et ???? domina Montpellier ????.

Translation:
In the year of our Lord 1652, November 21st; I, Pierre Bailloquet, shared in the priestly ceremonies applied in the church ???? infant ???? having already been baptized at home ???? impending birth ???? Claude Bouchar, who now changed his name to be called Dorval, and Madeleine Benard. Godfather and Godmother ???? Jean Hayot and ???? Lady Montpellier ????.

(Note on "dit" names: They are commonly used in French-Canadian records to distinguish one branch from another. The names are commonly used interchangeably. Ex. Jean was known as Jean Bouchard and Jean Dorval and Jean Bouchard dit Dorval in various records or similar.)

I would greatly appreciate anyone that can help me fill in the blanks and/or make corrections and let me know how badly I butchered it all, in whole or in part. It's taken me a while just to get what I have but I did try!

The record can also be found here next to other similar records on FamilySearch.org. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

Oups

Anno Domini 1652 Novembris 21, ego Petrus Bailloquet socie[ta]tis sacerdos caeremonias adhibui in ecclesia Silleriacensi infanti jam antea domi baptisato ob periculum moris ut videbatur instantis nato ex parentibus Claudio Bouchar queem jam mutao nomine orval nuncupant et Mrguareta Benard Patrinus et matrina fuerunt Joannes Hayot et uxor Domini Montpellier. Joannem nuncupaverunt infantem.
http://books.google.fr/books?id=TJ5zk0uFRJYC&pg=PA155

Kcastle13

Huh. Well then. Thank you very much for that. I guess I missed that book. This should help me with future records I might come across, as well.

So this is my rough translation of the transcribed record, keeping in mind that the names are originally supposed to be in French:

In the year of our Lord 1652, November 21st; I, Pierre Bailloquet, share in the priestly ceremonies I took in the Church of Sillery. The infant had already been baptized at home because it seems the danger of death was imminent from birth; parents Claude Bouchar, who has already changed the (last) name called Dorval, and Marguerite Benard. Godfather and godmother were Jean Hayot and the wife of Montpellier. They have named the infant Jean.

I believe Joannes & Joannem are variations on the English John which would be Jean in French but why would they use 2 different spellings of it in the same record? I think I got the gist of the meaning but if anyone would like to fine tune my translation, I would be grateful.

Kcastle13

I'm trying to translate my 8th great-grandfather, Jean-Baptiste Couture's, baptismal record (bottom left) in English from a 1650s Latin Catholic Church record from Quebec . I've become fairly good with the French translations, but I just starting teaching myself Latin. I've attached a scan of the same record as the one in the link above, except the attached one is of lower quality but displays more of the inside margin. To be thorough I try to both transcribe and translate my records. The notations in italics are meant to be helpful. Please feel free to also correct me on anything I've already done. For those who are unaware, an emergency or private baptism was usually performed by someone who is not a priest but on hand who baptizes a child soon after birth usually out of fear that the child would not survive long enough to be baptized properly by a priest. If the child did survive, however, as it appears is the case with Jean-Baptiste, the child would be taken to a priest at a later date to have a conditional baptism done to ensure all the proper rituals were performed, etc. Thus far I have been able to pick out the below:

Transcription:
Anno Dmi (Domini) 1650 die 14 mensis nov. (novembris) R.P. (Recollect Priest) Paulus Ragumme? ? Jesu et ? baptizavi sub conditione infante natum die 6 natum ex Guillemo? (should be variation of Guillaume or William) Coustur et Anne Aymar cui nomen impositum est Joannes (Jean) Baptiste. Patrini fuerunt Joannes Essurar ? de St. Sauveur (Quebec) et Barbara Aymar (his aunt) uxor ? (should be variation of Olivier) Tardif ? Parochus ? a Guillemo Coustur pater ?

Translation in English:
The year of our Lord 1650, 14th day of the month of November, Recollect Priest Paul Ragumme? ? Jesus and ? was conditionally baptized an infant born the 6th day, born of Guillaume Coustur and Anne Aymar, whose name is Jean-Baptiste. The Godparents were Jean Essurar? of Saint-Sauveur and Barbara Aymar, wife of Olivier? Tardif ? Parish Priest ? Guillaume Coustur father ?

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me in whole or in part. Thank you.

Attachments