Chaos and Evil, Darkness and Lies

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

I am hoping for some help in translating these two phrases/word pairs into Latin.

"Chaos and Evil"
"Darkness and Lies"

I imagine the structure would be similar to phrases like Pax et Bonum; Lux et Veritas; etc.
Any help or directions to take will be greatly appreciated!

supranistria

Simply?

"Chaos et malum".

(Or would it be better to put "mala", i.e., "evil things"?)

For "Darkness and lies"... there are a few different words for darkness, each having their own shade of meaning. I have a feeling that these phrases are supposed to be a little cryptic and eerie, so I will assume you want the word for darkness that means "darkness/gloom/murkiness, moral/intellectual/mental dark".

And so, "caligo et falsitates" is probably what you're looking for.

Unless there's a more poetic (or correct) way to do this.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much!

What would the contextual difference be between falsitates and falsitas? I am trying to relate malum et falsita(s/tes) conversely to Lux et Veritas.

supranistria

Alex Hallwyler dixit:
Thank you very much!

What would the contextual difference be between falsitates and falsitas? I am trying to relate malum et falsita(s/tes) conversely to Lux et Veritas.
The difference is that falsitas is singular, and falsitates is plural (from falsitas, falsitatis). If you want it to be comparable to your veritas, then you can probably leave falsitas singular, which could mean "falsehood" or "deceit".

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You might want to write χαος et malum, just to go back to the old word. The problem with that is that χαος isn't the English word Chaos, it refers to the primordial mass existent before the world was formed. You might use "Discordia et malum" instead.