Child names ending with a '9' ?

dschardt

Hello. The attached copy is from an English Parish Baptism register, from the time when Latin was extensively in use. I have come across an anomaly which I have not seen before and I am hoping someone with knowledge can provide an explanation.

The query evolves around the use of the number '9' at the end of a number of children's first names. Consternation has arisen because the online transcription services have decided it is a 'g', a ridiculous notion. I would be happy enough to make a donation and look forward to any assistance that can be given.

Attachments

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

I believe it is an abbreviation of 'us'. Many Latin/Latinised male names end with this suffix. Ergo, what appears to be Ric(h)ard9, is 'Richardus'.

Someone else may confirm or correct me on this.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Also, this document seems not to list baptisms only, but also burials. It says 'sep' in front of some names, which probably is short for 'sepultus'/'sepulta' (buried).

dschardt

Thank you for this information - excellent. As well, I have checked a number of entries in the register and the difference of baptisms and burials has been noted by the company.