Child of water, born of fire, and courtier of fear.

Would this be a correct translation of the following:

Child of water, born of fire, and courtier of fear.

Puer aquae, ignigena, et curtisanus metus.

Valverde2019

Puer aquae is fine, assuming you are a male. If you are a female, it needs to be revised as puer refers to a male child.

I'm not sure whether or not ignigena would work for "born of fire," but I think "Cretus ex igne" could work.

The last bit looks fine, except you could possibly use timoris instead of metus, but I don't think that makes a big difference.

I'd also wait for someone else to verify this as I am by no means an expert and most people on this forum are more advanced than me at Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I'm not sure whether or not ignigena would work for "born of fire," but I think "Cretus ex igne" could work.
They both work.
The last bit looks fine, except you could possibly use timoris instead of metus, but I don't think that makes a big difference.
I would prefer timoris, only to avoid ambiguity.

You'd also better remove et.

Curtisanus is medieval Latin. If you wanted a classical Latin word, you could use aulicus.

I thank you both for you help, if this helps I plan on using this as an inscription on a personal insignia tattoo I plan to get and my reasoning behind it is that as I am a Cancer, I was born under a water sign, and as fire is associated with the season of summer in the wiccan tradition and since I was born in July I was born in the season of fire. Also as my favorite holiday is Halloween which falls in the season of Autumn which in the table top RPG Changeling: The Lost is described as the Court of Fear. I hope this helps if you both have any other assistance to add. Again I very much appreciate all that you have done thus far.

I also a point of clarification, as I plan on these three phrases as self descriptors you are saying that I would not need to include the 'et' and simply write like this, correct:
Puer aquae, ingnigena, aulicus timoris