Tattoo Children of the Earth

Chanh Nguyen

I read an article discussing Plato, in particular, "The Republic". There is an interesting passage:
"Socrates proposes to tell the people the noble lie. In his ideal city-state he said, “…May we device one of those needful falsehoods of which we lately spoke — just one royal lie which may deceive the rulers, if that be possible, and at any rate the rest of the city?” (Plato 64). Socrates advocates this through incremental communication from the rulers and finally to the people; they are to be told the past was a dream, and that in the present they are “children of the earth”, and the earth is their mother and nurse. It binds them to defend this mother from all enemies that threaten her."

I don't remember this “children of the earth”. What is the term in Latin?

R. Seltza

What is the term in Latin?
I'm not entirely sure whether you mean "How would you translate this into Latin?" or "What specific term did the Latin-speaking people use back then to refer to this?"

If the former is the case, then "children of the earth" would be liberi terrae. If it's the latter, then it maybe presumable that the Latin phrasing would be the same, but I can't really say for sure.

Chanh Nguyen

I'm not entirely sure whether you mean "How would you translate this into Latin?" or "What specific term did the Latin-speaking people use back then to refer to this?"

If the former is the case, then "children of the earth" would be liberi terrae. If it's the latter, then it maybe presumable that the Latin phrasing would be the same, but I can't really say for sure.
Maybe it was just a variation in translation. I only have the 'The Republic' translated by CDC.Reeve and there are a lot of books in the series. Thank you by the way.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
414e

ὅπλα αὐτῶν καὶ ἡ ἄλλη σκευὴ δημιουργουμένη, ἐπειδὴ δὲ παντελῶς ἐξειργασμένοι ἦσαν, καὶ ἡ γῆ αὐτοὺς μήτηρ οὖσα ἀνῆκεν, καὶ νῦν δεῖ ὡς περὶ μητρὸς καὶ τροφοῦ τῆς χώρας ἐν ᾗ εἰσι βουλεύεσθαί τε καὶ ἀμύνειν αὐτούς, ἐάν τις ἐπ' αὐτὴν ἴῃ, καὶ ὑπὲρ τῶν ἄλλων πολιτῶν ὡς ἀδελφῶν ὄντων καὶ γηγενῶν (earthborn) διανοεῖσθαι.

414e

their weapons and the rest of their equipment were being fashioned. And when they were quite finished the earth as being their mother
delivered them, and now as if their land were their mother and their nurse they ought to take thought for her and defend her against any attack and regard the other citizens as their brothers and children of the self-same earth.

nati terrae (born of earth)