Christmas wishes

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

-alis is something like "pertaining to" I believe, though I'm not entirely certain.

Also, I like Io Saturnalia as Latin for Merry Christmas; it's pagan yes, but it gets the idea across in a more Roman way than my suggestion, i.e. Gaude(te) Nativitate.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Aw, qmf. It's not bad enough I have to worry about Chanukah, Kwanza, Solstice and Festiva, now I need to include the Saturnalia in my greetings?

OK, OK-- from the bottom of my heart I wish everyone a joyous winter festival of his or her choice.

Et in terra pax hominibus-- viris et mulieribus--ah, omnibus-- Amen.

cepasaccus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Or as is written on political correct christmas cards: Seasonal Greetings

valete

Cornelia

Latin Christmas Wishes

Hello!
I was just wondering the other day if there are any Christmas or New Year wishes in Latin,as there is one for Easter(Christus resurrectus est-maybe it sounds weird to English-speaking people,but such a wish exists here in the Greek Orthodox Church).I would like to thank in advance anyone who are willing to help me. :mrgreen:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Re: Latin Christmas Wishes

There is an old thread here somewhere, if you search for it.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

I think I found it (there may be another) and merged the relevant part. I must say I don't care for Io Saturnalia.

In recent years, papal documents have cited in sollemnitate Natalis Domini, in sollemnitate Nativitatis Domini, "in the solemnity" so these aren't quite what is wanted, but also in festo Nativitatis Domini Nostri, Iesu Christi -- "in the feast day of the Nativity of Our Lord, Jesus Christ." Festus can also mean "festive; joyous; merry" so you could do: Festus Nativitatis.

Tacitus Arctous

Some that can be used are

Dies natalis Christi

Sollemnia natalicia