clarification on "love thyself"

A

Anonymous

I looked around on the web and someone claimed that "love thyself" would be "dilige te ipsum" for a guy, and "dilige te ipsam" for a girl (I'm a girl if couldn't already tell by my username), so I would definitely use the latter right? Or does it matter so much? This is for a tattoo by the way. Also, for "know thyself" would it be "nosce te ipsam" instead of the "ipsum" (following the advice from before) as it's usually seen?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ioannes

Does it matter so much? - It does!

You are right about "ipsam".

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

My dictionary says that dilige is a milder word than ama, which is what I would've used off of the top of my head. With that in mind, both are correct, making sure to use the feminine form.

Ioannes

Isn´t "amare" more a male-female love, and fall in love kind of thing? And that wouldn´t be a nice advice (unless you are an egotist) :)

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That's part of why I agree with dilige. I would've used ama simply because I know it, but now that I know of dilige, I think I'd prefer it in this context.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... now I'm a little conflicted about "ama" vs "dilige"... because I kind of would like it to mean like "(fall in) love (with) yourself". What are the different meanings for "dilige?"

Ioannes

love, hold dear; value, esteem, favor; have special regard for