Consecratio - The Consecration

Darren Nayar

Hi everyone!

In an attempt to improve my Latin I've been writing somewhat random Latin passages. I earlier attempted one titled Serpens Purpureus (The Purple Serpent). This one is titled Consecratio, as it is intended as a consecration of a new math book that I have recently purchased. Please read through the lines below, and let me know if anything is off. I feel that quite a bit of the sentence structure and formation will be a bit off, so please point that out if possible.

Thank you.
Consecratio

1. We consecrate this book and invoke the name of Deipara.
a. Hic liberum in nomine Deiparae dicamus.

2. May Deipara bless this book and give it reason/logic.
a. Hic liberum beet et dialecticam dant.

3. Deipara and the other gods are different. (Deipara is different from the other gods)
a. Deipara et alii divi diversae est. Note: Despite having used the feminine form, I am unsure what gender of the adjective (diversus, diversa, diversum) to use here. I am referring to Deipara and the other gods (Hence akin to they). Because of this, I’m not sure whether I should pair the adjectives gender with Deipara (f) or divus (m). Should I be using the neuter case here as I’m talking about both?

4. The other gods evangelize, convert, and preach lies and falshoods.
a. Altii divi evangelizantque transducuntque falsites et medacios praedicant. Note: I originally wanted to say “… falsites et medacios evangelizant”. However, as the verb (evangelize, evangeliare, evangelizavi, evangelizatus) is non-transitive, I reckoned that I would not be able to use “lies and falsehoods” as a direct object. Is that correct?

5. But Deipara’s tongue discloses only truth and her sword knows only the blood of the wicked.
a. Sed lingua Deiparae solam veritatem edat[1] et eius gladius solus sanguis impii[2] scit. Notes:
[1] I was originally planning to use the verb (dico, dicere, dixi, dictus). However, I found that this verb was not transitive. If that is the case, then how would you say, in Latin, that Person A told the information to Person B. In this situation wouldn’t the information be what is told? How do you get around this in Latin? Is there another way of framing this, or are you supposed to utilize a transitive Latin verb with a similar meaning? [2] Is it possible to use an adjective as a noun in the way that I did with (impius, impia, impium)? In English the term “wicked” can be used in the place of “people who are wicked”. (ie: The wicked were punished, or the wicked fled the city) I have attempted to do the same here in the phrase: solus sanguis impii (only the blood of the wicked). Is this correct, or is there a different procedure for this in Latin?

6. Praise Deipara!
a. Laude Deipara!

7. We invoke the following deities.
a. Posteri divi invocamus!

8. We invoke Techno-Beetle! For he is the whisper in the wires, and the shadow in the screen. Praise Techno-Beetle.
a. Scarabeus Technologiae invocamus. Quod is murmur in restibus et umbra in culicaribus est. Laude Scarabeus Technologiae!Note: As you may have guessed from reading the sentence above, I had a hard time finding a word for “screen”. The screen that I am referring to in the English sentence is a computer or monitor screen. Obviously, that wasn’t around back when Latin was spoken. I found that the word (culicare, culicaris) means “screen” in medieval Latin. Presumably it refers to a sheet or a makeshift barrier to screen someone from view. It’s quite far off from what I originally intended, but do you think it will do? Is there a better Latin word for screen that you could suggest?

9. We invoke Serpens Purpureus. Let us remember (that)[1] – mistakes committed in lust or thoughtlessness today will seize your balls tomorrow.
a. Serpens Purpureus invocamus. Memoremus – Errata in libidine aut incogitantia hodie factus, tuum coleos cras capient. Laude Serpens Purpureus! Note: [1] Would it be better for me to include a form of quia here? As in “Let us remember that..”? If so, what form should I use?

10. May all the gods of this venerable and sacred shrine bless this book.
a. Divi sancti et sacri sanctuarii hunc liberum beent.

Thank you. Looking forward to your feedback!

B

Bitmap

1. We consecrate this book and invoke the name of Deipara.
a. Hic liberum in nomine Deiparae dicamus.
*hunc librum

2. May Deipara bless this book and give it reason/logic.
a. Hic liberum beet et dialecticam dant.
I haven't heard of the verb beare before, although it obviously exists ... but 'to bless' is usually benedicere ... which goes with a dative in classical Latin and with an accusative in Christian Latin.

for reason/logic, I'd suggest ratio.

huic libro Deipara benedicat et rationem det.

3. Deipara and the other gods are different. (Deipara is different from the other gods)
a. Deipara et alii divi diversae est. Note: Despite having used the feminine form, I am unsure what gender of the adjective (diversus, diversa, diversum) to use here. I am referring to Deipara and the other gods (Hence akin to they). Because of this, I’m not sure whether I should pair the adjectives gender with Deipara (f) or divus (m). Should I be using the neuter case here as I’m talking about both?
With persons (and gods are persons), in agreement matters, you prefer the masculine over the feminine and the first person over the second over the third. So this would give you

Deipara et alii divi diversi sunt.

However, that means that Deipara and other words together are different from somebody else.

Deipara is different from other gods = Deipara non est similis aliis deis.

4. The other gods evangelize, convert, and preach lies and falshoods.
a. Altii divi evangelizantque transducuntque falsites et medacios praedicant. Note: I originally wanted to say “… falsites et medacios evangelizant”. However, as the verb (evangelize, evangeliare, evangelizavi, evangelizatus) is non-transitive, I reckoned that I would not be able to use “lies and falsehoods” as a direct object. Is that correct?
*falsites is not a word as far as I know.
A lie is mendacium, so the plural is mendacia.
You can just draw the objects to the transative verb.
If you enumerate 3 or more items, you either put an et between each of them, put nothing between each of them, or put nothing between each of them and add a -que to the last one (poetry is a bit more free).

So alii divi evangelizant traducunt (or corrumpunt) praedicantque falsa et mendacia.

B

Bitmap

5. But Deipara’s tongue discloses only truth and her sword knows only the blood of the wicked.
a. Sed lingua Deiparae solam veritatem edat[1] et eiusgladius solus sanguis impii[2] scit. Notes:
[1] I was originally planning to use the verb (dico, dicere, dixi, dictus). However, I found that this verb was not transitive. If that is the case, then how would you say, in Latin, that Person A told the information to Person B. In this situation wouldn’t the information be what is told? How do you get around this in Latin? Is there another way of framing this, or are you supposed to utilize a transitive Latin verb with a similar meaning? [2] Is it possible to use an adjective as a noun in the way that I did with (impius, impia, impium)? In English the term “wicked” can be used in the place of “people who are wicked”. (ie: The wicked were punished, or the wicked fled the city) I have attempted to do the same here in the phrase: solus sanguis impii (only the blood of the wicked). Is this correct, or is there a different procedure for this in Latin?

[1] dicere can be transitive (in fact, it often is). And "to speak the truth" is actually verum dicere (or vera dicere or vere dicere) in Latin. For 'truth', Romans would usually prefer the word verum (at least in classical times), while veritas usually describes 'truthfulness' as a quality.
If you want to use edere, the 3rd person singular would be edit. edat would be the subjunctive, but that's not what you want here.
[2] Yes, you can, especially in the plural -- pretty much like in English.
'only the blood' is a direct object, so it has to be accusative in Latin. 'of the wicked' has to be a genitive plural.
Instead of scit I would prefer novit. scire means 'to know' more in the sense of 'to know that something is the case' or 'to know how something is done'.
so: sed lingua Deiparae solum verum edit/dicit et eius gladius solum sanguinem impiorum novit.

6. Praise Deipara!
a. Laude Deipara!
Lauda Deiparam (or laudate in the plural)

7. We invoke the following deities.
a. Posteri divi invocamus!
I'm not sure what 'following deities' is supposed to mean. Grammatically, it would have to be posteros divos though.

B

Bitmap

8. We invoke Techno-Beetle! For he is the whisper in the wires, and the shadow in the screen. Praise Techno-Beetle.
a. Scarabeus Technologiae invocamus. Quod ismurmur in restibus et umbra in culicaribus est. Laude Scarabeus Technologiae!Note: As you may have guessed from reading the sentence above, I had a hard time finding a word for “screen”. The screen that I am referring to in the English sentence is a computer or monitor screen. Obviously, that wasn’t around back when Latin was spoken. I found that the word (culicare, culicaris) means “screen” in medieval Latin. Presumably it refers to a sheet or a makeshift barrier to screen someone from view. It’s quite far off from what I originally intended, but do you think it will do? Is there a better Latin word for screen that you could suggest?
*Scarabaeum
'for' = nam
restis means rope ... I'm not sure what the word for wires in a computer would be ... maybe you could subsume them under the word reticulum.
culicare is a screen to keep off flies. There are different suggestions for what a computer screen should be called: scrinium (stupid!), quadrum visificum, monitorium (which would be the entire monitor rather than the screen).
There's a source here, for example: http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

They call 'wire' filum there, which also makes sense ...

B

Bitmap

9. We invoke Serpens Purpureus. Let us remember (that)[1] – mistakes committed in lust or thoughtlessness today will seize your balls tomorrow.
a. Serpens Purpureus invocamus. Memoremus – Errata in libidine aut incogitantia hodie factus, tuum coleos cras capient. Laude Serpens Purpureus! Note: [1] Would it be better for me to include a form of quia here? As in “Let us remember that..”? If so, what form should I use?

Serpentem Purpureum invocamus. meminerimus peccata ex libidine vel temeritate hodie commissa cras carptura esse coleos. laudate Serpentem Purpureum.

10. May all the gods of this venerable and sacred shrine bless this book.
a. Divi sancti et sacri sanctuarii hunc liberum beent.

omnes divi huius sancti et sacri sanctuarii huic libro faveant.