Cork Centre for Neo-Latin

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The Centre for Neo-Latin in the University of Cork seems to be becoming a little flicker of light in the dimlit world of Classics. They have struck deals with Tunberg's Kentucky and will host the Neo-Latin Symposium on alternate years. https://www.ucc.ie/en/cnls/symposium2017/

They will also hold a Kentucky style intensive week of living Latin in June, 2017. https://www.ucc.ie/en/cnls/spokenlatin/

And then there's this:

At least I know what I'll be doing from 6-12 June next year (unless I'm in hospital or similar...).

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

At least I know what I'll be doing from 6-12 June next year (unless I'm in hospital or similar...).
Any information regarding cost? The website doesn't say.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Presumably you're supposed to email them to find out. Pleading that you're a poor student deserving of any possible bursaries.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Which is not the week-long course referred to in the first post.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The website is not the easiest to navigate, and seems to go round in circles. On this page it refers to free course, by which I assume they mean something that goes on once a week or so during term time. Or maybe not. But the page it sends you to sends you back to this one for more information, and I gave up.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Which course?

The eight-week course uses 'Reading Latin' by Jones & Sidwell. I'd say the one week course has no textbooks since it's modelled on what they do at Kentucky. As far as I know they discuss a variety of texts and use various exercises to get/keep people talking in Latin. I haven't a clue what they use for the MA.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Sorry, I meant in their MA, and presumably also in their Spoken Latin summer school. The video mentions that the students use some textbooks from the Renaissance.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I wouldn't mind finding that out myself. I'd say Jason Harris is the man to direct that question to: [email protected] .

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

In my head I am hearing Latin in the voice of Mick Fitzgerald. It is disconcerting.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I had to Google him. It could be worse; it might have been the John McCririck.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Thanks Terry S., I have written to him. I'll let you know if hear anything back.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Please do! I hope to head down there for the symposium in April and see things for myself, but I don't want to take up the guy's time just yet in case I won't get the time off.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I wrote a month ago and thus far have received the same reply as you.