Correcting sentences

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi,

I recently got back into Greek having recently just got back from a Greek course. Could one of the members correct (or help with some of the incomplete ones) them.

ἡ δὲ μνήμη τοῦ γενομένου· τὸ δὲ παρὸν ὅτε πάρεστιν͵οὐδεὶς ἂν φαίη μνημονεύειν
Memory is a thing of the past. If the present is when it is here, then no one would say that they remember.
τοῦ δὲ νῦν ἐν τῷ νῦν οὐκ ἔστι μνήμη͵ καθάπερ εἴρηται καὶ πρότερον͵ ἀλλὰ τοῦ μὲν παρόντος αἴσθησις͵ τοῦ δὲ μέλλοντος ἐλπίς͵ τοῦ δὲ γενομένου μνήμη· διὸ μετὰ χρόνου πᾶσα μνήμη. ὥσθ΄ ὅσα χρόνου αἰσθάνεται͵ ταῦτα μόνα τῶν ζῴων μνημονεύει͵καὶ τούτῳ ᾧ αἰσθάνεται.
A memory is not a thing of the men of the present day as it has been said before; but perception is a thing of the present, hope a thing of the future, and memory a thing of the past. And therefore, memory exists in the midst of time. (I can’t make sense of the next bit. Is it something like this?) Man only remembers these animal things and through this he learns and thus, as a result, he learns much about time.

μιᾶς γὰρ κοπτομένης κεφαλῆς δύο ἀνεφύοντο
For when one head would be chopped off, two would grow back.

θνῄσκω, παρόν μοι μὴ θανεῖν ὑπὲρ σέθεν,
ἀλλ᾽ ἄνδρα τε σχεῖν Θεσσαλῶν ὃν ἤθελον
καὶ δῶμα ναίειν ὄλβιον τυραννίδι.
I die if it is possible for me to not die in defence of you but to suffer for tyranny… I can’t quite seem to get the rest.

Προμηθέως δὲ παῖς Δευκαλίων ἐγένετο. οὗτος βασιλεύων τῶν περὶ τὴν Φθίαν τόπων γαμεῖ Πύρραν τὴν Ἐπιμηθέως καὶ Πανδώρας, ἣν ἔπλασαν θεοὶ πρώτην γυναῖκα. ἐπεὶ δὲ ἀφανίσαι Ζεὺς τὸ χαλκοῦν ἠθέλησε γένος, ὑποθεμένου Προμηθέως Δευκαλίων τεκτηνάμενος λάρνακα, καὶ τὰ ἐπιτήδεια ἐνθέμενος, εἰς ταύτην μετὰ Πύρρας εἰσέβη. Ζεὺς δὲ πολὺν ὑετὸν ἀπ᾽ οὐρανοῦ χέας τὰ πλεῖστα μέρη τῆς Ἑλλάδος κατέκλυσεν, ὥστε διαφθαρῆναι πάντας ἀνθρώπους, ὀλίγων χωρὶς οἳ συνέφυγον εἰς τὰ πλησίον ὑψηλὰ ὄρη. τότε δὲ καὶ τὰ κατὰ Θεσσαλίαν ὄρη διέστη, καὶ τὰ ἐκτὸς Ἰσθμοῦ καὶ Πελοποννήσου συνεχέθη πάντα. Δευκαλίων δὲ ἐν τῇ λάρνακι διὰ τῆς θαλάσσης φερόμενος ἐφ᾽ ἡμέρας ἐννέα καὶ νύκτας τὰς ἴσας τῷ Παρνασῷ προσίσχει, κἀκεῖ τῶν ὄμβρων παῦλαν λαβόντων ἐκβὰς θύει Διὶ φυξίῳ. Ζεὺς δὲ πέμψας Ἑρμῆν πρὸς αὐτὸν ἐπέτρεψεν αἱρεῖσθαι ὅ τι βούλεται: ὁ δὲ αἱρεῖται ἀνθρώπους αὐτῷ γενέσθαι.
Deucalion, son of Prometheus, was born. This man, while ruling the regions around Phthia, married Pyrrha, the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora whom the gods made the first woman. Since Zeus was willing to destroy the Bronze Age, Deucalion, when Prometheus instructed him, built an ark, put in the provisions, and went into it with Pyrrha. Zeus, after having poured much rain from the heavens, inundated very many lands of Greece so as to destroy all mankind, except for a few who fled to the nearby high mountains. Next, the mountains down along Thessaly were divided and all the mountains beyond the Isthmus and the Peloponnese were demolished. Deucalion, while being carried over the sea in his ark for nine equal days and nights, put to shore at Parnassos. And there, when the storm had subsided and when he disembarked, sacrificed to Zeus the banisher. Zeus left to decide to choose for himself what he wanted after having sent Hermes to Deucalion. For him, he chose to create mankind.

Thanks.

siluanus

Memory is memory of the past. When what is present is present [i.e., when the present is occurring], no one would say they "remember" it. There is no "memory" of the "now" in the "now" [i.e., of the present in the present], as has previously been stated. Instead, there is perception of the present, expectation anticipation of the future, and memory of the past. Therefore, memory always occurs after time [has elapsed.] As a result, only those creatures that have the perception of time can remember, and can do this [i.e., can remind or communicate a memory] only for/to one who has percention [of time].

For when one head would be chopped off, two would grow back. You got this right.

That's all for now.

θνῄσκω -- This is from Euripides' Alcestis: "I die, even though it would be possible for me not to die on your behalf, but to have any Thessalian man I might want as my husband and dwell in a wealthy house, occupying the rulership." She is volunteering to die in place of her husband, Admetus, king of Thessaly. She observes that she doesn't have to do this--instead, she could let him die and could then marry some other Thessalian, who would become king, and she could remain in her position as the ruler's consort.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Memory is memory of the past. When what is present is present, no one would say they "remember" it. There is no "memory" of the "now" in the "now" [i.e., of the present in the present], as has previously been stated. Instead, there is perception of the present, expectation of the future, and memory of the past. Therefore, memory always occurs after time [has elapsed.] As a result, only those creatures that have the perception of time can remember, and can do this [i.e., can remind or communicate a memory] only for/to him who has percention [of time].

For when one head would be chopped off, two would grow back. You got this right.

That's all for now.
Who wrote the above if you don't mind me asking.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

siluanus

The last is mostly ok. A few suggestions:

Προμηθέως δὲ παῖς Δευκαλίων ἐγένετο. I would translate this idiomatically just as "Deucalion was the son of Prometheus."

βασιλεύων -- "who was king"

ἣν ἔπλασαν θεοὶ πρώτην γυναῖκα -- "who was the first woman the gods made"

ἐπεὶ δὲ ἀφανίσαι Ζεὺς -- "when Zeus . . . "

ὑποθεμένου Προμηθέως -- "on Prometheus' suggestion/advice"

Δευκαλίων δὲ ἐν τῇ λάρνακι διὰ τῆς θαλάσσης φερόμενος ἐφ᾽ ἡμέρας ἐννέα καὶ νύκτας τὰς ἴσας τῷ Παρνασῷ προσίσχει -- "Deucalion was carried in the chest through the sea for nine days and an equal number of nights and landed . . . "

ἐκβὰς θύει -- "he came out and sacrificed"

Ζεὺς δὲ πέμψας Ἑρμῆν πρὸς αὐτὸν ἐπέτρεψεν αἱρεῖσθαι ὅ τι βούλεται: ὁ δὲ αἱρεῖται ἀνθρώπους αὐτῷ γενέσθαι. -- "Zeus sent Hermes to him and ordered him to choose whatever he wanted. His choice was for human beings to come into existence for him."

siluanus

ἐλπίς -- not necessarily "hope." It can be expectation or anticipation of bad things as well of good.

φερόμενος -- could be translated "sailed."

Use your imagination translating participles. Sometimes translating aorist participles as coordinate verbs with the main verb works best in English, e.g. ἐκβὰς θύει.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks for your help, Silvane!

siluanus

There's a glaring mistake in what I wrote yesterday.

Ζεὺς δὲ πέμψας Ἑρμῆν πρὸς αὐτὸν ἐπέτρεψεν αἱρεῖσθα -- should be "Zeus . . . allowed him to choose," not "ordered".

Apologies for this--I should have been more careful.