"Corruption of the best is the worst"

drcruz

I've seen the Latin translation of "Corruption of the best is the worst" in three ways: (1) "Corruptio optimi pessima"; (2) "Corruptio optimi est pessima"; and (3) "Corruptio optimi quae est pessima".

Which Latin translation is the correct one?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

(2) is the correct one, but this is posted in the wrong forum. This thread will move to the appropriate forum to generate more responses.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I assume by 'best' that people are meant here? That's important for an accurate translation.

drcruz

Yes, by "best" I am referring to a person (I think). The phrase refers to the fall of Satan. As you know, Satan was a fallen angel. But he wasn't just an angel. He was actually a seraph, one of the seraphim. According to Christian belief, there are nine choirs, or levels, of angels. "Angels" followed by "archangels" are at the lowest levels, whereas the highest levels consist of the "cherubim" and the "seraphim." The seraphim were the highest choir of angels, the most powerful of all angels and most closest to God. As the story goes, Satan the seraph, one of the "best" of all angels, rebelled against God, was corrupted and ultimately became the worst thing ever imaginable. I've heard that this Latin phrase - "Corruptio optimi quae est pessima" - comes from the Middle Ages and refers to the fall of Satan.

I'm thinking about getting this Latin inscription done as a tattoo, but I want to make sure it's correct, of course. Is the correct Latin translation "Corruptio optimi est pessima"?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

drcruz dixit:
I've heard that this Latin phrase - "Corruptio optimi quae est pessima" - comes from the Middle Ages and refers to the fall of Satan.
You "heard" this? From whom?

drcruz

I "heard" this from Dr. Scott Hahn, a Catholic theologian, on one of his CD's. I could be wrong, though. I'm not sure. Do you know which is the correct Latin translation?

drcruz

What do you mean an "elliptical est"? The first responder said (2) is the correct translation, but now I'm hearing that all three are correct. Which is it? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

I don't know which one is historically accurate, if any.

All three choices mean essentially the same thing.

An elliptical est="is" is implied -- it does not literally appear.

In English, you might say that "she thought him stupid" is equivalent to "she thought him [to be] stupid."

(1) "corruption of the best [is] the worst."
(2) "corruption of the best is the worst."
(3) "corruption of the best [is] that which is the worst."

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yes