Critical Thinking

john lombard

I want to start a website about critical thinking, and am looking for a latin name that would mean "critical thinker" or "critical thinking". One suggestion that was made was "mens critica", but the problem with that is that too many people seeing it would think it is a forum for men.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, including ideas that may not be translations of 'critical thinker', but that would convey the same (or similar) meaning.

Thank you very much for any suggestions you may be able to give!

patterner

I'm a super newbie, so you definitely want to look for other opinions, but you could change the "thinking" part to a verb, "cogitare decretori[o-long:2p759agb][/o-long:2p759agb]" which should work out as "to think critically".

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In Greek we'd say κριτική τέχνη, roughly Latinised: ars critica.

B

Bitmap

Another option would be critica ratio
"to think critically" could then be translated as critica ratione uti

patterner dixit:
"cogitare decretoriō"
I think the adverb would be decretorie

john lombard

Imprecator dixit:
In Greek we'd say κριτική τέχνη, roughly Latinised: ars critica.
Thanks...but am afraid if I used this for a website name, too many would read it as arse (or ass).

Bitmap dixit:
Another option would be critica ratio
"to think critically" could then be translated as critica ratione uti
Thanks! I like this one...just one quick question...what would the literal translation of 'critica ratio' be?

B

Bitmap

john lombard dixit:
Thanks! I like this one...just one quick question...what would the literal translation of 'critica ratio' be?
ratio can mean lots of things that have to do with mental action. The basic meaning is reckoning/calculation/understanding (hence the loan "rational")

john lombard

Bitmap dixit:
john lombard dixit:
ratio can mean lots of things that have to do with mental action. The basic meaning is reckoning/calculation/understanding (hence the loan "rational")

Would there be any way to use 'cogitare' and 'critica' (or forms thereof) together?

Or what about 'cogitare ratio', or derivations thereof?

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cogitatio critica could work, I suppose. The other two suggestions are better, though, and more in line with what a Roman might say.

john lombard

Imprecator dixit:
Cogitatio critica could work, I suppose. The other two suggestions are better, though, and more in line with what a Roman might say.
Thanks...my question comes from a quick check of some online translators (I know, we're warned not to use them, and I'm using them only to check what I'm being given, not to find translations) that all seem to indicate that it is quite rare to use "critica" in this way.

ETA: An example:
critic.a N 1 1 NOM S F
critic.a N 1 1 VOC S F
critic.a N 1 1 ABL S F
critica, criticae N (1st) F [GXXEK] NeoLatin uncommon
critique (of texts);
critic.a N 2 2 NOM P N
critic.a N 2 2 VOC P N
critic.a N 2 2 ACC P N
criticum, critici N (2nd) N [XGXFO] veryrare
literary criticism (pl.);
critic.a ADJ 1 1 NOM S F POS
critic.a ADJ 1 1 VOC S F POS
critic.a ADJ 1 1 ABL S F POS
critic.a ADJ 1 1 NOM P N POS
critic.a ADJ 1 1 VOC P N POS
critic.a ADJ 1 1 ACC P N POS
criticus, critica, criticum ADJ [DXXFS] Late veryrare
critical; decisive;
That...and I'd just like to have as many options to choose from as possible :)

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That particular dictionary is a piece of crap, to be honest. Criticus is a borrowing from Gk. that any half-educated Roman worth his salt would've understood.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Just a little note for OP: This is not a dictionary but a latin parser (primary) and it's the best latin parser available (and the best parser from parsers of any other dead language from what I've seen) :shock:

- and ofc, nothing is perfect and when you don't pay or donate...
(and under these conditions it's better than brilliant for a dead language)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Godmy dixit:
Just a little note for OP: This is not a dictionary but a latin parser (primary) and it's the best latin parser available
This hammer I bought is useless. It keeps damaging the screws ;)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Cinefactus dixit:
This hammer I bought is useless. It keeps damaging the screws
Sorry to fail you, but you were given it just like that - without any expectations to say thanks... :p

Heh... believe me that we all wait attentively for you guys to come with something new, free and much better (and nothing has happened yet) - if any of you start to code something, tell me... but until that, I'm ok with this. It's really more than any latin student can ask for and for free.

William Whitaker himself links to Perseus for example. Everybody can compare... and if somebody knows how to read in that program, i.e. if somebody is not lazy to read that quite long and very detailed manual and learns to understand EVERY shown information extracted from parsing and the dictionary record, then you can't really choose that wrong output/information.

quo plus habent, eo plus cupiunt