Cum adiectione

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Comment on Et plangent se super eum omnes tribus terrae in Revelation 1:7.

Hoc loco notandum quia cum adjectione ait tribus terrae: ac si diceret terrena desiderantes, et avaritiae studentes, quibus dicitur: Vae vobis divitibus (Luc. VI, 24); et item, Vae vobis qui ridetis (Ibid., vers. 25).

In this place it is to be noted that he says « the tribes of the earth » with an addition of meaning, as if he were saying « those who long for earthly things and devote themselves to greed », to whom it is said, Woe to you that are rich(2), as well as, Woe to you that laugh(3).

This was my best guess as to what adiectio could mean here, as no definition I found in dictionaries quite fitted the context. Opinions?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Could he maybe specifically mean that terrena is an expanded form of terra (i.e. like terra with something "added on"/"joined on" to the end of the word)?

Otherwise, what you've got seems plausible enough, but probably a better way to put this into English is "with an added meaning".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Could he maybe specifically mean that terrena is an expanded form of terra (i.e. like terra with something "added on"/"joined on" to the end of the word)?
No. It's tribus terrae that he says "with an addition" not terrena.
Otherwise, what you've got seems plausible enough, but probably a better way to put this into English is "with an added meaning".
Ok, thanks.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's this other passage:

Et facies ejus sicut sol lucet in virtute sua (Rev. 1:16). Per faciem fulgentem ut sol, electi possunt accipi, ut illud: Fulgebunt justi sicut sol (Sap. III, 7). In qua sententia si solem istum visibilem volumus intelligere, sciendum quia tunc majoris erit claritatis quam nunc, et sanctorum tunc gloria major, Isaia attestante qui ait: Erit lux lunae sicut lux solis; et lux solis septempliciter sicut lux septem dierum, in die qua alligaverit Dominus vulnus populi sui (Isa. XXX, 26). Unde hoc loco additum est: in virtute sua. Aliter, quid per faciem angeli, nisi incarnatio Redemptoris manifesta, quae velut ortum habuit nascendo, occasum moriendo, et item ortum resurgendo? Et quia jam ejus resurrectio per totum orbem claruerat, quasi sol meridianas horas conscenderat, cum Joannes ista cernebat; ideoque cum additamento ait: sicut lucet sol in virtute sua.

Where cum additamento obviously refers to the words in virtute sua being added — while you could have had only sicut sol.

My translation:

And his face was as the sun shineth in his power. By the face shining as the sun, we may understand the elect, as in The just shall shine as the sun(5). If we want to understand the sun mentioned in this sentence to mean the visible sun, we should know that it will then be of a greater brightness than it now is, and the glory of the saints will then be greater, as Isaiah attests, who says, The light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days: in the day when the Lord shall bind up the wound of his people(6); whence in this passage it is added « in his power ». Alternatively: what is symbolized by the face of the angel but the Redeemer's manifest incarnation, which had, as it were, a rising when he was born, a setting when he died, and again a rising when he was resurrected? And since his resurrection had already become well-known throughout the world, it is as if the sun had gone up to the hours around midday when John was seeing these things, and this is why he said, with those words added, « as the sun shineth in his power ».

So now I'm thinking that perhaps it's the same in the passage I'm having trouble with, as if the commentator meant (omnes) tribus terrae had somehow been written as an addition/further precision, like: Ecce venit cum nubibus, et videbit eum omnis oculus, et qui eum pupugerunt. Et plangent se super eum — omnes tribus terrae; or Ecce venit cum nubibus, et videbit eum omnis oculus, et qui eum pupugerunt. Et plangent se super eum omnes — tribus terrae. But I'm not sure...

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Aha! It's a cross-reference to Zechariah 12:10:

10 Et effundam super domum David
et super habitatores Jerusalem
spiritum gratiæ et precum:
et aspicient ad me quem confixerunt,
et plangent eum planctu quasi super unigenitum,
et dolebunt super eum,
ut doleri solet in morte primogeniti.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'll bump one last time a few threads that I'd really need some help with. If anyone has a thought, even if you aren't sure, please let me know. Last bump here.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

What was wrong with my solution? It sounds like a cross-reference to the Zechariah passage with an addition, i.e. cum adiectione.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Sorry; the plangere thing may be a reference to Zechariah, yes, but I don't see how that solves the problem of the translation of cum adiectione...?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Well, especially with the super eum in the next line, it sounds like he's quoting (a condensed version of) the Zechariah passage and then adding "omnes tribus terrae" as an addition, i.e. to explain who is mourning over him (i.e. Jesus).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think that if he meant that Revelation was quoting Zechariah with an addition, the commentator would himself have mentioned the Zechariah passage.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

But the whole line sounds like a deliberate (condensed) paraphrase (I mean by a paraphrase by John, or whoever wrote Revelation):

Revelation: ...et videbit eum omnis oculus, et qui eum pupugerunt. Et plangent se super eum omnes tribus terrae.

Zechariah: ...et aspicient ad me quem confixerunt, et plangent [...] super eum...

The only element not shared between the two is the omnes tribus terrae, and I can see the commentator's point: i.e. he thinks that John is paraphrasing Zechariah, but adding omnes tribus terrae in an explanatory sort of way, to say who is doing the looking and wailing and so forth.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, it isn't impossible, I suppose, but then I really don't see why the heck the author wouldn't have actually mentioned the Zechariah passage, rather than expected people to read his mind.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

It's the only interpretation that has made any kind of sense to me thus far. And even if it's not the right one, better to err on the side of caution by not filling out the translation with possible implications (viz. "of meaning") that aren't actually in the text just for the sake of making it seem less cryptic. It is cryptic, so why not render it faithfully?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That's what I've done. I've eventually just translated it literally. "He says with an addition..."

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Pacifica, does the commentator normally quote the chapter/verse he's referring to? Or are those cross-references yours? (I thought that chapter and verse as a reference system didn't actually exist yet in medieval days...)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The commentator usually quotes the verse he's referring to, but he doesn't give the number reference. Those were added either by the editor of the Latin text or by me.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

The commentator usually quotes the verse he's referring to, but he doesn't give the number reference. Those were added either by the editor of the Latin text or by me.
Hmm, I see what you mean, then: it is odd he doesn't quote the Zechariah verse there, if that's what he's referring to.