Cute animals thread (for malleolus and some others)

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Funny you should say that. Amazon tells me that they despatched my book today, Keeping Poultry and Rabbits on Scraps. I'm seriously considering whether I should keep rabbits for meat. No joke.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
I've always found rabbit meat about as dull, if not duller, than battery chicken. Free-range chicken is much better. I assume that the rabbits I've eaten were free or free-ish range, as I don't think you can battery farm them, so that might be as good as it gets. Hares are tastier.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I've never eaten hare, but rabbit I find ok. As you say, it's not the tastiest meat out there, but if I can raise it for nearly nothing, it might become a bit more attractive.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
Having said that, I think I could hunt an animal for food, not that I've ever fired a gun. But to keep animals that came to trust me to feed them, and then one day to wring their necks, or take them on a little trip that's only one way for one of us -- I'm not sure I could do that.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I suppose you just don't get too close to them. If I would raise a couple of pigs and then send them off to the slaughterhouse, I should be prepared to do the deed myself if I'm able at all.