'dare to grow'

MichaelRD

I'd like some help translating this into Latin, if it's possible. I'm heading up a poetry critique forum and I think this would be a good way to hook potential candidates for further honing their craft. Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks,

Michael

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

alesco: to mature, grow

Alescere aude.

Dare to grow.

MichaelRD

Thanks a lot! Pronunciation?

Though my son (who's taking Latin this year) tried to help, I'm still not sure of the pronunciation. Could you break it down phonetically for me? Thanks again.

Michael

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'll try to break it down using sounds you're familiar with

Ow-GAY-ray OW-day

The ray and day are short sounds, the GAY a long sound. Both Ow's are long sounds.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

No.
a-LES-ke-ray OW-day.

Latin words have only 1 (or 0, in the case of monosyllables) accent.

MichaelRD

Thanks, QMF; that's an interesting thing to know. As my son learns more, it will be good he has this resource (the forum) if he needs it. Again, many thanks. Btw, is there a discernable difference between the two different translations?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I believe the difference would be that the first is more gradual; augere is "grow" but also "augment" (you can see the derivative there) and so is more rapid.

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

augere is growing something else...
elesco is growing the self.

at least i think thats the difference.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Alescere is a verb which stands as "to grow" but implicit is growth through nourishment. For instance; spiritual, emotional or perhaps philosophical growth towards maturity.

Augere stands meaning actual physical growth in respect to the three spatial dimensions.

One who goes to the theater or perhaps has just finished reading a book might exclaim: Alesci (from alescere, per·ind·1st·sing).

One who has been going to the gym and sees that his body mass has augmented might say: Augeo (from augere, prs·ind·1st·sing).