Dative?

john abshire

• Patronus

Pater filio puellam aptam inveniet.
His father will find his son a suitable girl.

Is filio dative? Indirect object?

Is this translation also correct?
His father will find a suitable girl for his son.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, that is all correct.

john abshire

• Patronus

Yes, that is all correct.
Erat difficile fratri meo ubi coniugem filiae suae petebat
It was difficult for my brother when he was seeking a husband for his daughter.
Is filiae suae dative?
Fratri meo, also?

I can see that “for his daughter” is indirect object and dative, but is “for my brother” also an IO?
To state my question differently; I can kinda see that fratri (in dative) should mean “for my brother” in this sentence, but it does not seem like an indirect object to me, and I assume it is not. So what is it? Is there a specific name for it? Like for the accusative there are two groups; direct object and object of preposition. Are there two for dative, indirect object and _________?

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

Is filiae suae dative?
Yes.

Fratri meo, also?
Yes.

Not sure what other Latinists think, but to me that sentence sounds like a really weird example of textbook Latin, not like a genuine Latin sentence. I wonder if ubi can even be used that way.

I can see that “for his daughter” is indirect object and dative, but is “for my brother” also an IO?
It's not an indirect object on a sentence level. It depends on difficile.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Not sure what other Latinists think, but to me that sentence sounds like a really weird example of textbook Latin, not like a genuine Latin sentence. I wonder if ubi can even be used that way.
It feels a little weird to me too. I think ubi in the sense of "when" is usually used either with the perfect or in a "whenever" sort of sense. I guess I should take a look at the OLD to see if there's any example of it being used in the way it is here.

Erat difficile fratri meo ubi coniugem filiae suae petebat
It was difficult for my brother when he was seeking a husband for his daughter.
Is filiae suae dative?
Fratri meo, also?

To state my question differently; I can kinda see that fratri (in dative) should mean “for my brother” in this sentence, but it does not seem like an indirect object to me, and I assume it is not. So what is it? Is there a specific name for it? Like for the accusative there are two groups; direct object and object of preposition. Are there two for dative, indirect object and _________?
Are you getting these from a textbook? If so, then the chapter in which they are found should have adequate explanation to determine what the editor intends. I would see fratri here as a dative of reference, not really an indirect object. And there are several uses of the dative, not just two, and hopefully your text will introduce them to you as it proceeds.

B

Bitmap

I guess it isn't really wrong, just unusual.
The good thing about Latin is that in almost 1000 years of that language's history, you always find *some* example of any kind of odd language use :D

john abshire

• Patronus

Are you getting these from a textbook? If so, then the chapter in which they are found should have adequate explanation to determine what the editor intends. I would see fratri here as a dative of reference, not really an indirect object. And there are several uses of the dative, not just two, and hopefully your text will introduce them to you as it proceeds.
Yes, The “text” is ‘Latin for dummies’.
I am reading through it as a review of the Latin grammar texts I completed, and/or to build vocabulary, hopefully a fruitful step between where I am now and reading “Caesar’s Gallic Wars” (or equivalent).
I don’t suspect the book to be an authority on Latin.
If you have a better idea on texts let me know.

john abshire

• Patronus

The author wasn’t explaining the dative. The sentences were just a dialogue between family members. However I was curious about words in dative case that are not indirect objects.