De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Adrian, new avatar's pretty rad, by the way.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Since we come from so many different parts of the world, I thought it might be fun to compare (if not quite debate ;) ) some of the foods we eat and enjoy that may be exotic/unknown to others.

For example, on this VERY hot day in Eastern Canada, I am sitting down to a green smoothie.

You heard that right. A green smoothie. Here's what's left of it (as you can see I drank most of it immediately) sitting in my Vitamix blender:

View attachment 2711

Ingredients: frozen mango, frozen pineapple, lemon juice, and fresh garden spinach.

No, this isn't a Canadian custom, though it does seem to be a North American trend in recent years. Does anyone else ever make these?

Okay, next! :)
One of my new year resolutions. Big expactations, big hopes. Bought a blender last week, found some recipes, made a green smoothie... Not too bad. It takes time to adapt to this IMO. It's hard to believe (at least for me) that people actually manage to replace all their daily meals with vegetable smoothies (so called celebrity diets - see Jenna Tatum)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I've been making healthy muffins lately, made with whole-wheat flour and non-refined-sugar sweeteners (maple syrup or honey). They've been pretty delicious, if I do say so myself, and I consider them healthy enough to eat during Lent, for which I have cut out all alcohol and refined sugar (except on Sundays).

The recipes are from a cooking website called Cookie and Kate, which (based on all the recipes I've tried so far) is quite good and also very health-conscious! The author is very good at substituting healthy for non-healthy ingredients without sacrificing taste. Highly recommended.

Here are the two muffin recipes I've made so far:

Maple-Sweetened Banana Muffins (extremely versatile -- you can add stuff like nuts/raisins, or just make it plain)
Healthy Carrot Muffins

In other food news, I have a very nice apple crisp in the oven right now, with just a bit of actual refined sugar in the topping. ;) Maybe I'll post a picture when it's done...

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Banana muffins sound yummy — carrot muffins sound disgusting.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I've never tasted it, and have no desire to... I'm not a big fan of carrots in general, even in stuff where they're expected, let alone in sweet recipes.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I don't like carrots on their own either, but carrot cake is really quite delicious, and these muffins are very good! Is carrot cake not a thing in Belgium?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I don't know. I don't think I've ever come across it, at any rate, but I'm no cooking expert.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Callaina dixit:
you can add stuff like nuts/raisins, or just make it plain)
The nut and the muffin are a match in heaven made (just check the Bible). In fact, if the muff don't have no crunch to it, I find it a little bland.

Of course, when it comes to sweet pastries (health-conscious or otherwise), the donut reigns supreme. I myself am partial to the cruller, mein Kerl.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Here are the two muffin recipes I've made so far:

Maple-Sweetened Banana Muffins (extremely versatile -- you can add stuff like nuts/raisins, or just make it plain)
Healthy Carrot Muffins
I baked the carrot muffins last night, it came out quite tasteful (carrot aftertaste barely noticeable)
Thanks for providing the links to C+K ; She has a tasty-looking recipe for apple muffins which I am eager to try out.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Is carrot cake not a thing in Belgium?

I don't know. I don't think I've ever come across it, at any rate, but I'm no cooking expert.

Do you guys ever drink carrot juice? My roommate got a juicer lately, and every so often I come across her in the kitchen pushing whole carrots (along with, generally, apples and oranges) into its mysteriously churning innards.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I'm not a fan of it (carrot juice), though.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I'm not a fan of it (carrot juice), though.
I sometimes drink carrot juice (usually mixed with some apple juice). According to some tabloids I read, carrot juice is good for skin tone.
I myself prefer to munch them fresh sweet baby carrots - call me Rabbit:)

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I don't drink carrot juice in general. I suppose I may have tried it in the past, but if so I don't remember.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
But is it a thing in Belgium (unlike carrot cake)?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I think it exists, but isn't a thing I or people I know drink.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
I myself prefer caret juice.