De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Never tried scottish ale. Hemo Rusticus must try it in the future. do they sell it online or it is strictly regional speciality ?

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I don't imagine it's popular everywhere, but all malty beers taste pretty similar. You'll do fine with a Doppelbock or some such German Bräu.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Bockbier is something for cold winter days, I think.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I bought today a "bock". Perła Koźlak 7 % alcohol volume. It is strong but at the same nice sweet aftertaste.

I guess it is a perfect beer for autumn/ winter afternoon; but it's still summer so I'll stick with Beck's and Krombacher for a while.
cheers to all beer afficionados

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Kimchi update: I am about to find out what this tastes like, in combination with potatoes. Google would confirm tha some people do this sort of thing, and it seems as plausible as anything else. I hope it's edible, or I'll have to think of something else.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
This time of year you see 'pumpkin spice' written on roughly half the contents of the supermarket. I just got some pumpkin spice liqueur & it's pretty serviceable when mixed with strong coffee. Very cozy drink. Too bad my fireplace is kaput.

In any case, glad that the winter chill is in the offing. Let it snow, let it snow, daddio.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Popcorn. Why is it always a snack, rather than a serious ingredient of a meal? It has roughtly the same nutritional value as sweetcorn, which is standard. It's the shape, isn't it? Hard to handle with a knife and fork on a plate.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Popcorn. Why is it always a snack, rather than a serious ingredient of a meal? It has roughtly the same nutritional value as sweetcorn, which is standard. It's the shape, isn't it? Hard to handle with a knife and fork on a plate.
Not sure about the nutritional value and structure aspect - ( as far as I recall kernels used for popcorn and sweetcorn cob differ in aspect of sugar and fat) our forum fitness guru might know more on this Godmy
I for one try to avoid sweetcorn in favor of chickpeas (which tastes good regardless if used in soup, salad, hummus cream ,goulash or even eaten straight of the tin)
Also, having occasion, I would like to express my positive opinion on vegetarian meals (substituting red meat like pork with chickpeas or lentil - they taste good with rice or buckwheat groats)

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Got some of this chicharrón from a little Mexican market, not really knowing what it was. The idea was to bring it to my aunt's place as a gift, but she's not a big fan, so I'm stuck with it.

It's actually pretty tasty, like eating fried jerky, only a little 'too rich for my blood'.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I've recently gotten into the habit of buying this exceedingly bitter chocolate. At first it was a little much even for my palate, but it's grown on me. Now I like to have it w a cup of that Joe, a flavor combo that hits you like a ragin' rhino.
Image result for lindt 95 dark chocolate450 × 450
For me, chocolate is one of those very few edibles where more pleasure comes from the bite/texture alone than the taste. In fact, I really can't think of another example.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This doesn't taste of anything but is pleasant to eat because of its texture.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
You've had it?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Yes, in a soup.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I've recently gotten into the habit of buying this exceedingly bitter chocolate. At first it was a little much even for my palate, but it's grown on me. Now I like to have it w a cup of that Joe, a flavor combo that hits you like a ragin' rhino.
Image result for lindt 95 dark chocolate450 × 450
For me, chocolate is one of those very few edibles where more pleasure comes from the bite/texture alone than the taste. In fact, I really can't think of another example.
I tried it once... too much bitterness IYAM. Lindt has a reputation of making quality dark chocolade products - my personal pick would be:
70% Edelbitter Mousse Orange
08401_2.png

I personally enjoy dark chocolate products (especially pralines) with advocaat, sherry or whisky mousse.

Last edited:

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Looks pretty delish; think they have that at my location too.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
What are your New Year's Resolutions (if any?) I have several, each one on a different theme:

1. For the environment: Switch from dairy milk to soy or oat milk (mostly for environmental reasons, at least, though I'm not happy about the ethical ramifications of the dairy industry either). I also plan to cut out dairy products entirely during Lent; we'll see how that goes.
Update: whatever oat milk's environmental virtues, which I'm sure are many, it simply Does. Not. Work. in coffee (it is passable in tea). I will need to get some soy creamer.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Isn't soy linked to big environmental scandals, like large swathes of rainforest cut down to make room for huge plantations of it?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Isn't soy linked to big environmental scandals, like large swathes of rainforest cut down to make room for huge plantations of it?
Yes, but (as far as I have heard) that's mostly soy for cattle feed, which is a very inefficient way of producing dietary protein. If we stopped feeding soy to cattle (i.e. stopped eating so much beef) and just started eating it ourselves, we wouldn't need to clear vast areas of rainforest to produce the necessary quantity.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Update: whatever oat milk's environmental virtues, which I'm sure are many, it simply Does. Not. Work. in coffee (it is passable in tea). I will need to get some soy creamer.
Yeah, the one or two times I put it in coffee, while I did quite like the taste, resulted in a sort of syrup, like thin cough medicine. I frankly thought it was a bluff or a gag when the waitress said 'oat milk.' Here I'm sayin', 'Oy vey, since when do oats have udders?'