De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
I must admit I find a little confusing the whole logic of 'I won't eat animals, but I'll try my damnedest to make the shit look & taste like the animals I refuse to eat.'

It'd be like the Catholic church discouraging pre-marital sex by encouraging masturbation (which I imagine they frown upon).

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I must admit I find a little confusing the whole logic of 'I won't eat animals, but I'll try my damnedest to make the shit look & taste like the animals I refuse to eat.'

It'd be like the Catholic church discouraging pre-marital sex by encouraging masturbation (which I imagine they frown upon).
I sometimes drink non-alcoholic beer.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
You'd think there would be better-tasting options. Beer is the only way of drinking alcohol that isn't completely foul, but I still wouldn't savour the taste in a soft drink.

Tironis

Estne ebriamen de furfure avenaceo factum?

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
I guess so. Some accents are immediately easy (like the lovely Scottish accent of that archeologist guy I mentioned a while ago)
He was speaking in English, though, not Glasgow dialect.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
Try this for size. The scene is based on an unfortunate inicident in which the two dafties had to pretend that angora sheep fur/wool was candy floss and eat it in front of an inquisitive policeman. The relevant part starts at 28:00.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I'm more likely to view porridge oats as breakfast food than dead pigs on a daily basis, but I don't understand why people insist on turning them into wallpaper paste. They're much better raw, with milk, yoghurt, or soy/almond/hazelnut drink according to taste and lactose intolerance level. Fruit may be added.
Couldn't agree more. I have mine with hot water and dried mango.

Tironis

I make porridge with half water/half semi-skimmed milk and a pinch of salt. Delicious!

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Tironis dixit:
semi-skimmed milk
What's that? Half skim, half reduced-fat?

Tironis

What's that? Half skim, half reduced-fat?
Blue top - whole/full fat milk; fat content around 3.25%
Green top - semi skimmed milk; fat content around 1.8%
Red top - skimmed milk; yellow fat content typically 0.1%

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Around here we say 'reduced fat' (I think, anyway. I don't drink milk). And our red cap is whole, blue is 2%, green is reduced fat, light purple is skim.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
I'm not sure whether we have such a consistent colour code in Ireland. I always check the labels to make sure. However, pink plastic tops seem to be universally recognised as dirty-dishwater-coloured milk.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Here I think it's red for full-fat, green for semi-skimmed and blue for skimmed.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I wasnt even aware that there was a colour code.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I was only kind of aware. I'd sort of subconsciously noticed, I guess.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
I noticed, but only because of two local rival brands using green and blue to mean full fat/semi-skimmed the opposite way round to each other. I suppose it's to get your attention to whose milk you're buying. It's a bit like Walker's crisps when they started out. They reversed the unwritten rule that green means cheese'n'onion, and blue means salt'n'vinegar.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Hmm ... I'm checking currently. It seems to be dark blue for 3.5-3.8%, light blue for 1.5% and green for 0.3%

Tironis

Since I only ever buy semi-skimmed I can head straight for the green section. No faffing about! ;)