De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

I really fancy an assortment of cheese and crackers at this moment but I'm not allowed to eat, at least according to my will power.

Edit: as to an

Last edited:

Tironis

Civis Illustris
You can get 100% in Sainsbury, if you're hard enough. From this manufacturer, who appears to make a number of versions: https://www.montezumas.co.uk/bars/absolute-black.html
Will definitely try, if only to find out if I'm hard enough!

Dark chocolade is also beneficial for the brainView attachment 10504
Next stop Cacao Nibs? Even more beneficial than Montezumas 100%?

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Aldi usually seem to stock 85% dark chocolate. But, yes, 95% is a bit difficult to get.
I bought an 85% Lindt Excellence. It has very intensive taste. Based on that, I'm not sure I would be able to stand up to 90% or 99% or 100% challenge.
Apparently such chocolates are available only via lindt online shop

I bought an 85% Lindt Excellence. It has very intensive taste. Based on that, I'm not sure I would be able to stand up to 90% or 99% or 100% challenge.
Apparently such chocolates are available only via lindt online shop
I think I've only gone as high as 85% before so I might try a 90% one. Not sure what those dark choco digestives are but at a guess I'd say the dark potency is fairly low on the scale.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

Adrian

Civis Illustris
My challenge stopped at 90% , that's as much as I am able to go.
P_20200724_120316[1].jpg

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
I think I mentioned on this thread or another but:
I was surprised by how quickly I acclimated to the 95% stuff. The first couple bites I thought 'Jeez, man, I don't know if I'll be able to finish this thing.' But the next session I was lickin' my damn fingers, baby. The palate is a mighty beast.

Same thing happened with olives. Was never crazy about them, then I tried some kalamata olives and my eyes exploded. Now I suck 'em down by the jar.

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
Got my engines all fired up on this. Tonight, while rewatching the Hitchens v Hitchens (99) debate, I'm gonna drop some 90% and see what happens.
You might try having a palate-cleanser handy. Coffee, or a strong tea. Something hot, 'cause otherwise the stuff'll sit on your tongue for about two hours.

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
Been adding a whole avocado (which is quite a lot, but I hate trying to preserve them in baggies & such) to my eggs (3), some turmeric & ginger powder, & a touch of pepper. Plop those babies on a thick slice of dry sourdough... Oh, mamma mia. That's a hot tamale.

I even fry the eggs in avocado oil, which is rich & very tasty. S'posed to be 'healthy', but I reckon that's wishful thinking.

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
No 90%'ers in the co-op but this 85% bar was rather nice.View attachment 10553
I find that the darker the chocolate, the less sugar (naturally) but the more fat, which I can't make sense of. That's the way it is with some of the Lindt ones, anyway. Also, dark chocolate is supposed to be anti-inflammatory, which is nice little bonus.

Last edited:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I find that the darker the chocolate, the less sugar (naturally) but the more fat, which I can't make sense of.
Probably to make sure it's still palatable, otherwise it would be hopelessly bitter.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
Update for the hardcore: Sainsbury seems to have stopped stocking Montezuma 100%, or maybe that's just my local. But M&S now do their own.

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
Update for the hardcore: Sainsbury seems to have stopped stocking Montezuma 100%, or maybe that's just my local. But M&S now do their own.
Montezuma is a great name for anything, but chocolate especially.

I went to the snobby tea place recently ‘n picked up some Lady Grey (black tea w citrus rind & vanilla), which when tempered w mine own personal supply of ground ginger is pure dyn-o-mite.
220px-TwiningsLadyGrey_low.jpg

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Montezuma is a great name for anything, but chocolate especially.

I went to the snobby tea place recently ‘n picked up some Lady Grey (black tea w citrus rind & vanilla), which when tempered w mine own personal supply of ground ginger is pure dyn-o-mite.
View attachment 11127
I love Lady Grey! Never tried combining it with ginger -- I'm sure I'd like it, though, as I'm a big fan of ginger.