de scacchis

LCF

Dr. Freud
Pretty much everyone you see on Coffee Chess is my homie. We used to play every Friday and Saturday before

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
He did a very good job at pretending not to be a master. Doesn't know how to castle and blunders pieces in 1 move ...

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Summa ars est cum dignitate ludum perdere...

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
@Bitmap, started to watch the video with Thor, it's quite fun ;) Naturally, knew nothing of who the other guy was, but, taught by you, I googled "Hikaru Elo rating" and then my jaw dropped!
I didn't really watch it, even though Youtube keeps flooding me with Nakamura giving lessons to streamers. It's pretty basic stuff, so I can't take much from it.
However, I suppose it can be interesting for less experienced players to watch those lessons (and if you happen to like one of those streamers or celebrities, you get the added experience of joining them on their path of learning).

If I happen to see Thor actually play a game, I'll keep you updated.

Maybe he should just settle things with Eddie Hall over a chess match :D I wonder how many people would tune in to see that.

Godmy

Sīmia Illustris
However, I suppose it can be interesting for less experienced players to watch those lessons (and if you happen to like one of those streamers or celebrities, you get the added experience of joining them on their path of learning).
Indeed, I'll probably give it a further watch!

If I happen to see Thor actually play a game, I'll keep you updated.
Haha, thanks!

Maybe he should just settle things with Eddie Hall over a chess match :D I wonder how many people would tune in to see that.
LOL.
Thor: "Eddie, I'm calling you out... to a chess match! They offered me a 7 figures contract! Sign it!"
Eddie:
"You bet I accept. I will beat the crap out of your pawns!"

Godmy

Sīmia Illustris
Btw., a week or two ago, I mentioned to the guy on IRC that I had a brief conversation with you, @Bitmap, mentioning to you him having taught me a bit of chess and that you explained to me the ELO rating.And then I was curious if he had any idea what his rating was and/or if he could share it. (and from a total beginner's perspective, I would say at least he's quite experienced). Anyway, when I mentioned what your rating was, he was really impressed with that and said that you would beat him anytime you would play with him :) He also said that in his part of the world / USA (iirc) there is usually some concurrent rating system or something? Then he said he had no official rating but that based on something he gets from one chess web that tries to emulate the rating a little bit at least (lichess?) that he should have something around 1500 but that realistically it would be around 1300. ... so there's that :)

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
He also said that in his part of the world / USA (iirc) there is usually some concurrent rating system or something?
Yes, the USCF has its own rating system and even its own chess rules (while most other countries play by the international rules). However, most countries actually have a national rating system alongside the international Elo-rating. National ratings usually give you a bit more liberty in stretching some of the FIDE rules, whereas you need a FIDE arbiter to be present if you want to rate a chess game or an event with international rating.

The USCF rating is usually about 100 points higher than FIDE rating and about 200 points higher than German rating. I would probably be about 2200-2300 USCF and get a National Master title there (Germany doesn't have that title, unfortunately).
In Germany, German rating is usually about 50-100 lower than Elo rating. That's why if you want to get a Candidate Master title from FIDE, you need 2200 FIDE rating and just 2100 German rating.
I'm a bit of an exception because my Elo and my German rating are the same (around 2130 currently). I think I could get my FIDE rating over 2200 if I farmed the right tournaments, but I just don't play enough.

lichess also has its own server rating, which is usually a bit higher than Elo rating. My server rating there bounces between 2200 and 2400. So if your friend is only rated 1500 there, I would really be favoured indeed.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
79a8aff402.png
phpWyEQJY.jpeg

Adrian

Civis Illustris
4213504_orig.jpg
how-to-win-with-a-man-in-chess-funny-images-48866563.jpg

Adrian

Civis Illustris
61wp.jpg

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Reactions: LCF

LCF

Dr. Freud
Yep. It's here in Santa Monica. I play with some of those loosers.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I watched until he played ... f5.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I kinda feel sorry for those guys... unknowingly facing a chess master in disguise

LCF

Dr. Freud
He wanted to play with her not because of chess...

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Can't argue with that. She looks really hot. I dare say her twitch community doesn't follow her for the chess content, either.