death before dishonor

Encolpius

re QMF, antea vs. antequam.

Antea is an adverb, and never goes with quam. It really means "beforehand".

Antequam is a conjunction, meaning "before". Since you are using two main verbs, you need to use the conjunction.

Antequam can be split into ante...quam, viz.:

"ante moriar quam dedecorabor".

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There we are...that makes sense. Thank you, Encolpius.

aleena

I have a friend that wants to have the phrase "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR" tattooed...he has been looking for translations online (and so have I) but we have come with different versions and some that to my rudimentary knowledge of latin sound simply wrong...
ANY HELP?
thank you

aleena

I just posted the previous question...(death before dishonor) without checking out similar posts...SORRY...so, if I understand correctly, a good translation would be POTIUS MORI QUAM IGNOMINIA?

On another note, how would the phrase LIVE LONG AND PROSPER be in Latin?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

For "Death before dishonor" I'd say Mors prae ignominia or perhaps Mors prae dedecore. The latter is probably better in a modern context, as dedecus can mean dishonorable conduct, whereas ignominia is simply disgrace from whatever (e.g. a general losing his army was considered disgraceful to the ancient Romans, regardless of whether there was actually any fault on his part when defeat was inevitable.)

For the other: Vivas ac floreas.

aleena

Thanks a lot on both counts...I like that Mors prae dedecore.

the quote from Star Trek is just because i am such a trek fan...

sbombard15

Death Before Dishonor.

Death Before Dishonor

I have seen A LOT of different translations online and have no clue what one is right. Is there one correct phrase or is there a bunch of different phrases that are equally correct?
In latin would it would mean To Die Rather Then Dishonor?

Thanks for the hep.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Re: Death Before Dishonor.

I'd say Mors Ante Dedecum, though there's a hundred ways you could translate this.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

You could also do something like: Moriar potius/prius/citius quam dedecorer.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Many of them are likely wrong (if gotten from automated translators), but as Imprecator says, there are a hundred different "right" ways to do it.

Imber Ranae's ways:

Moriar potius quam dedecorer - "I will die more ably than I will be dishonored."
Moriar prius quam dedecorer - "I will die before I will be dishonored"
Moriar citius quam dedecorer - "I will die quicker than I will be dishonored."
Imprecator's way:
Mors Ante Dedecum - "Death before dishonor."

Hmm. I don't see dedecum in WORDS; dedecus is there but it's 3rd declension neuter. (There are a number of words belonging to more than one declension.)

So Mors Ante Dedecus would be yet another way.

sbombard15

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Are the first three translations here correct for literal translations? Is the fourth translation correct for "rather to die than dishonor"?

1. Mors Ante Dedecum
2. Mors ante ignominiam
3. MORS ANTE INFAMIAM
4. POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI

Also from what I understand all translations posted by everyone are all correct and it is up to me to just pick one?

Thanks

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Is dedecum attested? It might be an incorrect form of dedecus. Hold off on that one.

ignominiam = "ignominy,"
infamiam = "infamy,"
potius mori quam foedari = "to die rather than to be disgraced."

foedari is a passive infinitive. It means many things. "to be defiled, polluted, soiled, stained, disgraced, etc."

B

Bitmap

sbombard15 dixit:
1. Mors Ante Dedecum
2. Mors ante ignominiam
3. MORS ANTE INFAMIAM
I think a major reason for Imber's suggestion is that Latin tends to shun away from nominal expressions when it also has the choice to express things verbally

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Couple of things: potius means "rather" or "preferably", not so much "more ably". And while citius does literally mean "quicker", that translation is somewhat misleading since its use here is a Latin idiom.

Moriar potius quam dedecorer. = I'd rather die than be dishonored.
Moriar prius quam dedecorer. = I'll die before I can be dishonored.
Moriar citius quam dedecorer. = I'd sooner die than be dishonored.

They all suggest more or less the same thing: a preference for death over living in dishonor.