Desiderative subjunctive

Hi everyone,
I am finding it difficult to translate into English the Latin subjunctive when It expresses a wish. Could you plese help me to translate the following?

1. Utinam redeat!
2. Utinam redierit!
3. Utinam rediret!
4. Utinam redisset!

I know that 1 and 2 express a feasible desire in the present and in the past respectively, and 3 and 4 an unfeasible desire, but I don't know how to phrase that in English.
Thanks for you help.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I'm not sure what the convention is. I would add "hopefully" or "I hope" in the first two, e.g.

1. Utinam redeat!
Hopefully he returns/ will return!

2. Utinam redierit!
I hope he has returned!

And in 3 and 4, you can add "if only":

3. Utinam rediret!
If only he returned!

4. Utinam redisset!
If only he had returned!

In 3 and 4, you can also use "I wish" instead of "if only": "I wish he returned!", "I wish he had returned!". Note that in Latin, you can also replace the utinam with velim in case of 1 and 2, and with vellem in case of 3 and 4.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Using "I hope" is also my first idea for the first two sentences. I would use "I hope" in the translation of utinam redeat, too ("I hope he returns"). With "hopefully" it means something different, to my mind ("Hopefully he will return" = "There's reason to hope that he will return").

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
With "hopefully" it means something different, to my mind
Wow, are you sure you're not a conservative? :D "Hopefully" in the same sense as "I hope" is frowned upon mainly by super-conservative linguists.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I'm sorry, if there is such a usage it's just that I'm unfamiliar with it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I mean, "Hopefully, he will come" does imply that you hope he will come, but that's not the entire meaning (again, to my mind; maybe I'm wrong and in some contexts it is): it also means that there is reason for that hope; that you think it's kind of likely to happen — so more like "There's reason to hope he will come" than just "I hope he comes".

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
You're overthinking it. "Hopefully" is just an evil Germanism.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Please explain.