DEUDSCHE SPRACHE

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Wow, we're a lot more alike than I remembered.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That's what I had on my screen:

It's true that if I had scrolled down further, it would have said "Translate from Italian", but I didn't notice that because I didn't scroll down.
Actually I thought you were joking and didn't want to spoil the joke. GT struggling manfully against all the odds.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ik heb het hele Zweedse sprekenboek van Paul gepiraated.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Wat is goed? En wat is het slechte? Vuur werd uit de hemelen gestolen.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ik heb het hele Perzisch sprekenboek van Paul gepiraated.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Es gibt Nichts entweder gut oder schlecht, aber das Denken macht es so.

Das ist meine wörtliche Übersetzung von Hamlet. Bitmap korrigiert sie.
Du sprek Thudish lika Dutch!

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

So sayeth GWSN.

B

Bitmap

Es gibt Nichts entweder gut oder schlecht, aber das Denken macht es so.

Das ist meine wörtliche Übersetzung von Hamlet. Bitmap korrigiert sie.
Die Stelle ist schwer zu übersetzen, weil eine rein wörtliche Übersetzung im Grunde nicht möglich ist.
Man kann "nichts" im Deutschen nicht mit "entweder ... oder" kombinieren. Statt "so" sollte man wohl "dazu" sagen. Eine Möglichkeit wäre:
Es gibt weder Gutes noch Schlechtes, doch(/aber) das Denken macht es dazu.
(
oder: Es gibt weder gut noch schlecht ...)

Deutsch kann keine Adjektive nachstellen so wie Englisch (wo die nachgestellten Adjektive im Grunde verkürzte Relativsätze sind). Man müsste die nachgestellten Adjektive als Relativsatz auflösen:
Es gibt nichts, das (entweder) gut oder schlecht ist, aber das Denken macht es dazu.

Diese Versuche einer wörtlichen Übersetzung wirken aber alle nicht besonders elegant. Man müsste den Satz wohl etwas umformulieren, um ihn in theaterreifes Deutsch zu verwandeln. Schlegel übersetzte beispielsweise (in Jamben!):

Denn an sich* ist nichts weder gut noch böse,** das Denken macht es erst*** dazu.

* "in and of itself" ~ it feels more natural to add that in German
** leaving a translation for the "but" out and constructing the antithesis without a linking word sounds much better.
*** that word ("once") is close to being a particle. It is hard to translate into English; you just add it in German.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ik yeverdrenke fram die watres of pure Asha.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Is the name "Jessica" is Germany sometimes pronounced as in English, with a consonant sound for the J?

B

Bitmap

Yes, it is. I actually think it's rather rare for the name to be pronounced the German way, but that may also just be my impression because I'm living in the East.
Most Germans can't pronounce the voiced English j, though, so they end up sayin Chessica.

Last edited by a moderator:

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I see, thanks. The reason I asked is that this morning the speaker on Deutschlandfunk pronounced the name of a journalist called Jessica with an "English" J, before quickly correcting himself (the recording is available here).

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Most Germans can't pronounce the voiced English j, though, so they end up sayin Chessica
I don't understand why that should be difficult (though I know it is). I can see how a sound like TH, voiced or unvoiced, could present problems to someone whose own language doesn't utilise that particular placing of tongue and teeth. But if you have no trouble with the unvoiced version, why can't you simply activate your larynx?

B

Bitmap

I don't understand why that should be difficult (though I know it is). I can see how a sound like TH, voiced or unvoiced, could present problems to someone whose own language doesn't utilise that particular placing of tongue and teeth. But if you have no trouble with the unvoiced version, why can't you simply activate your larynx?
It's not hard to learn how to produce that sound if you do some committed speech training (at least it's easier than producing a th), but it is not part of the German phoneme inventory. German has no minimal pairs like English "jest" and "chest", so most Germans are not even aware that there is such a distinction between voiced and unvoiced in that sound, and they can't hear the distinction, either.

I remember that there was a dance group in the youth parish of nearest big town. They were called "Dance for Jesus", but were usually announced as "Dense for Cheeses".

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Similarly, it is difficult for English speakers to pronounce an unaspirated [t] when not following /s/, even though all they need to do is devoice their usual /d/.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Speaking of difficult sounds, I am not sure why the sound /eɪ/ (e.g. as in "cake") seems to give so much trouble to many people whose native language is not English. At my previous job I had several co-workers from Italy and France, and a couple from Germany and Austria, and they usually pronounced the names "Craig" and "Greg", of two actual colleagues, in the same way, which occasionally created misunderstandings. I am not sure why it's so difficult. After all it's just "e" followed by "i".