DEUDSCHE SPRACHE

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Where angels fear to tread . . . but here goes:

Und wie (? laeuft, geht?) dein Deutsch-Unterricht (or deutscher Unterricht). Hoffentlich machst du bedeutsame Fortschritte. Ich drueck dir die Daumen auf jeden Fall (or more emphatically: Auf jeden Fall drueck ich dir die Daumen.) Not sure if du and dir should have capital D.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Es scheint dass ich noch viel zu lernen habe bis ich ein ausreichendes Niveau der Deutsche-Sprachkentnisse erreiche.
Und dass ich soll auf jeden Fall mehr auf Tippfehler aufpassen.
Hoffentlich habe ich in diesem Post nicht viele Fehler gemacht , oder @Bitmap ?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Deutsch ist eine herausfordernde Sprache, aber ich werde nicht aufgeben.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

. . . ein ausreichendes Niveau der Deutsche-Sprachkentnisse erreiche. . .
Alternatives ? : . . . a) der deutschen Sprachkenntnisse erreiche. b) der Deutsch-Sprachkenntnisse erreiche.

@Bitmap?

B

Bitmap

ein ausreichendes Niveau der Deutsche-Sprachkentnisse
Sorry, I corrected that incorrectly. There is an e too many in Deutsche-Sprachkenntnisse.
It should be "ein ausreichendes Niveau an Deutsch-Sprachkenntnissen"

Alternatives ? : . . . a) der deutschen Sprachkenntnisse erreiche. b) der Deutsch-Sprachkenntnisse erreiche.
German doesn't use the partitive genitive here, but a prepositional expression.
Don't ask me why :< German seems to run counter-intuitively to Latin in that regard:

multitudo hominum = eine Menge von/an Leuten
gradus scientiae = ein Niveau an (Sprach)kenntnis
quis nostrum? = wer von uns?

but:
quot homines = Wie viele Menschen or Wie viele der Menschen ("quot hominum" would be rather rare in Latin)

Also but:
pars hominum = ein Teil der Menschen.

I don't know if there is any concrete rule ... it seems to be a matter of collocations.

Regarding Sprachkenntnisse:
Deutsch-Sprachkenntnisse is right, but it sounds rather clunky.
deutsche Sprachkenntnisse is grammatically possible, but I don't think many people would say that.
Most people would say "Sprachkenntnisse in Deutsch", I think.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Spiegelonline:
David Cameron war Erneuerer, Überflieger, Wahlgewinner -

Überflieger = Dictionary gives Overachiever, but not convinced.

@Bitmap

B

Bitmap

I would define it as a person who has and displays a lot of potential and ambition. So if Cameron had an unexpectedly successful political career, you would describe him as an Überflieger.

Overachiever also seems ok to me ... the word always implied a tiny bit more to me, though. Probably mainly because it is stressed on the ü rather than the ie (and you could stress it on the ie with a different meaning).

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just come across this in Duden: ueberfliegen:
mit den Augen schnell über etwas hingehen und dabei bestrebt sein, das Wesentliche zu erfassen

BEISPIELE
  • einen Text rasch überfliegen
  • ich habe das Flugblatt, den Brief nur kurz überflogen
Couldn't an Ueberflieger be somebody who's not necessarily interested in details? Just wondering.

Thinking about your comment: <<Probably mainly because it is stressed on the ü rather than the ie (and you could stress it on the ie with a different meaning). >>

I'd agree - hence some ambiguity and open to interpretation.

B

Bitmap

The basic meaning of überfliegen is to fly over something, and there are a few different meanings that come from it.

An Überflieger is - metaphorically speaking - somebody who flies higher than anyone else.

Überfliegen as a reading technique means to quickly "fly over" a text with your eyes to get the gist of the text. But you wouldn't derive a noun from it that denotes a person who is not very interested in details ... I mean, I suppose you could do that theoretically, but Germans don't do that. And if they did, I think the noun would actually be stressed on the ie (Überflíeger) ... but that would only work if you made a very specific pun ;) Other than that, every German will recognise the word Überflieger as something distinctly positive. I think English has the word "high-flyer", too.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks Bitmap. My near-native fluency needs to be downgraded. Best to keep out of Deudsche Sprache. :rolleyes:;)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Nonsense. You did pretty good. Die Grammatik ist manchmal unvorhersehbar.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Nonsense. You did pretty good. Die Grammatik ist manchmal unvorhersehbar.
Gratias tibi. Grammar is all very well - but Martin Luther had his own ideas about language.
Adapted from a quote in Martin Luther's Sendbrief vom Dolmetschen

Man muß die Mutter im Hause, die Kinder auf der Gasse, den einfachen Mann auf dem Markt danach fragen und denselben auf das Maul sehen, wie sie reden, und danach übersetzen.

One should ask the mother at home, the children in the alley, the simple man at the market about it and look at their mouth and see how they talk and translate accordingly.

dem Volk aufs Maul schauen = (idiomatic) to listen to the common man.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I definitely wouldn't have guessed the meaning of the idiom.

B

Bitmap

Zu Luthers Zeiten gab es noch keine allgemein anerkannte, standardisierte Form des Deutschen. Meines Wissens hat viel von dem, was wir heute als Standard-Dialekt bezeichnen ("Hochdeutsch" - wobei 'hoch' eher für die geographische Höhe der Region steht, in der es gesprochen wird), mit Luthers Bibelübersetzung und Einfluss zu tun.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Zu Luthers Zeiten gab es noch keine allgemein anerkannte, standardisierte Form des Deutschen. Meines Wissens hat viel von dem, was wir heute als Standard-Dialekt bezeichnen ("Hochdeutsch" - wobei 'hoch' eher für die geographische Höhe der Region steht, in der es gesprochen wird), mit Luthers Bibelübersetzung und Einfluss zu tun.
Indeed. This article might be of interest to Issacus Divus a.o.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ik heb gelezen over het Proto-Germaans en de relatie ervan met Keltische en Italisch talen.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Since when are we speaking Dutch here?