DEUDSCHE SPRACHE

B

Bitmap

Ohne mich näher damit beschäftigt zu haben:

- Katzbach klingt nach einem Ortsnamen (und ist es wohl auch).
- Katzbachine klingt wie "Frau aus Katzbach".

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Jungs und Maedels, kurze Frage an euch - was zur Hoelle ist "Katzbaschine" ?o_O oder was soll es eigentlich bedeuten?
baschine = typo? If you mean bachine: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=bachine
Katz = surname; Bachine = surname, hence compound noun

However, see bitmap's interpretation.

B

Bitmap

Katz = surname; Bachine = surname, hence compound noun
The article is about first names that were approved in Germany, though.

You find a number of different articles on funny first names getting approved in Germany if you google "Katzbachine".

According to this article, some parents named their child "Talula does the Hula from Hawaii". The child sued them at the age of 9 for that and the parents were stripped of their legal custody for the child. I have no idea whether that's true or not, though.

Apparently, you can't name your child Anus in Germany.

The name Gneisenauette seems to have a similar word formation as Katzbachine (place name + female suffix).

Maybe the children were named after the place of conception.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The article is about first names that were approved in Germany, though.
Exactly. I was thinking that the name was perhaps in memory of maternal and paternal ancestors - perhaps Jewish who perished in the Holocaust.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

From that link:

In 2004, the German Language Council launched a more comprehensive competition for the "Most Beautiful German Word." People from 111 countries submitted nearly 23,000 suggestions, and the top-5 winners were:

1. Habseligkeiten (treasured belongings)

2. Geborgenheit (emotional security)

3. lieben (to love)

4. Augenblick (fleeting moment)

5. Rhabarbermarmelade (rhubarb jam)

This strikes me as odd.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

In case anyone is interested, the Austrian radio channel Oe1 this week has been broadcasting a series of 5-minute documentaries (every day at 17:55) called "Als die DDR Geschichte wurde", covering the period from the fall of the Berlin Wall till German reunification. They can be found here in the "Nachmittag" section until Monday 5 October.

B

Bitmap

No, it's jemanden etwas kosten.

There are situations in which you can also find the dative, though:

B

Bitmap

This page is also useful on this topic.
That's an interessing question. Such questions point out nuances that you wouldn't usually think about.

It feels like you would always say jemanden das Leben kosten (Akk.) and you would always say Ich lasse mir das etwas kosten (Dat.) ... beyond that one example, the dative seems weird to me, though, but maybe acceptable in some cases. But I'm a bit more of an accusativist than Bastian Sick is ... "Das kostete der Mannschaft den Sieg" sounds odd to me, for example.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I wonder if there are some regional varations, as the article seems to suggest, although it's hard to rely on Google searches for such things. In southern Italy many people tend to use the dative instead of the accusative (e.g. a me instead of me) so often, that grammarians have invented the case of "prepositional accusative" to describe it.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Morgen ist der letzte Tag,
morgen wird Radau gemacht,
Fenster, Tueren, aufgerissen
und die UK rausgeschmissen.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Aschbacher-Deutsch", ein neuer Begriff.
Gut dass ich nicht gleich auf dies Thema reagiert habe. Ich hatte naemlich geglaubt es handelte sich um die Ortschaft Aschbach im Elsass - wo man wohl annehmen darf dass dort Aschbacher-Deutsch gesprochen wird. :oops:

Zwar hatte ich von der Plagiatsaffaire Aschbacher gehoert, aber der Name der guten Dame hatte sich nicht in meinem Gedaechtnis eingenistet. :)

B

Bitmap

Gut dass ich nicht gleich auf dies Thema reagiert habe. Ich hatte naemlich geglaubt es handelte sich um die Ortschaft Aschbach im Elsass - wo man wohl annehmen darf dass dort Aschbacher-Deutsch gesprochen wird. :oops:

Zwar hatte ich von der Plagiatsaffaire Aschbacher gehoert, aber der Name der guten Dame hatte sich nicht in meinem Gedaechtnis eingenistet. :)
Bis auf die Zeichensetzung ist das hervorragendes Deutsch :) :love: Das gibt ein Bienchen.

Ich stelle mit einem gewissen Erstaunen fest, dass das beste Deutsch hier von einem Großteil unserer Nachbarn von der Insel gesprochen wird.