Dixitque Pharao Iosepho etc.

sobresaliente

I've come across a few points that are stumping me while translating from "Latin by the Natural Method."

Dixitque Pharao Iosepho, "Quia ostendit tibi Deus omnia, quae locutus est, numquid sapientiorem virum invenire potero?"

The part of the phrase that has stumped me is: quae locutus est

I am translating thus: And Pharao said to Joseph, "Because God shows you everything, [which he said], surely I will not be able to find a wiser man than you?"

My translation of "quae locutus est" appears incorrect in the context of the sentence, but I can't figure out what it should be - what have I misunderstood here?

Another phrase:

"Tu eris super domum mean, et ad tui oris imperium, omnis populus obediet: uno tantum regni solio te praecedam."

I am translating: "You will be the head of my house, and all people will obey the command of your mouth: one only will precede you to the throne of the kingdom."

The part I am not sure about is "uno tantum regni solio te praecedam"

From what I can tell I have translated it correctly, but the idea of the sentence seems unclear to me. I am guessing the Pharao would be speaking of himself as being above Joseph in power, but if so, the way of expressing this seems obscure.

Another phrase:

"Fere hoc modo unus ad alterum locutus est," ...

I am translating: "Almost in this way one spoke to the other ..." Once again, I just want to verify my translation is correct, because the expression sounds very odd to me, it just doesn't sound right in English. Is this something similar to what we mean in English when we say: "He said something like this to him" ?

thanks in advance for helping me resolve these issues!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I can't help you with everything here - I'm too thick - but do look at the person in praecedam and see if that makes anything clearer for you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Dixitque Pharao Iosepho, "Quia ostendit tibi Deus omnia, quae locutus est, numquid sapientiorem virum invenire potero?"

The part of the phrase that has stumped me is: quae locutus est

I am translating thus: And Pharao said to Joseph, "Because God shows you everything, [which he said], surely I will not be able to find a wiser man than you?"

My translation of "quae locutus est" appears incorrect in the context of the sentence, but I can't figure out what it should be - what have I misunderstood here?
It should be locutus es, not est.
Another phrase:

"Tu eris super domum mean, et ad tui oris imperium, omnis populus obediet: uno tantum regni solio te praecedam."

I am translating: "You will be the head of my house, and all people will obey the command of your mouth: one only will precede you to the throne of the kingdom."

The part I am not sure about is "uno tantum regni solio te praecedam"
What is the case of uno? What does it agree with? What is the person of praecedam?
Is this something similar to what we mean in English when we say: "He said something like this to him" ?
Yes. Fere is "about", "roughly"... rather than "almost".

sobresaliente

Thanks for your replies.

Ok, so here is what I have determined so far: praecedam is first person future; and "uno" "agrees with "solio" in the ablative.

But I'm afraid I might still be misunderstanding something. what is throwing me off here is the "uno tantum" part.

Is it correct that "uno" here means "one" and "tantum" "only"?

I am tempted to translate something like: "Only I will precede you on the throne of royal power"

but with "uno" it seems it would literally be: "Only I will precede you on the one throne of royal power"

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"uno" "agrees with "solio"
Yes. Therefore this:
cannot be the meaning, since uno agrees with solio and not with the implied "I" subject (which would be nominative).

Unus can sometimes translate to "only" or "alone" instead of "one".

A rather literal translation is "I will precede you only by the throne of kingship alone"—that is, I will be superior to you only in so far as I sit on the throne as king; other than that we'll be virtually equal.

Last edited: