Do you have a favorite Roman god?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Martinus... :think: From what period is it? Medieval?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

St. Martin was a late Western Roman Empire soldier (the legend says he went on a white horse) who parted/divided his cloak to give some clothes to a semi-naked freezing beggar.

In the Czech Republic my/Martin's name day is celebrated on the 11/11 and it is said that on day Martin may come on his white horse = which means it will snow (or vice versa, if it snowed, Martin came on his white horse), people bug me with the horse every year, seriously. Also St. Martin's wine is drunk and St. Martin's goose eaten :) (we don't observe these traditions in our family)

In my little town, there's been a fake Roman soldier riding on that day on a white horse in the last few years...

The Czech pronunciation palatalizes the "t" before "i" and it thus becomes a palatal voiceless stop. In other position we use this the ť letter for this sound.

I'm named after my father :)

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

In Germany, when we were young, we used to gather with paper lanterns with a candle inside and walk around as a group in the evening on St. Martin's Day while singing songs about lanterns ... and we were obviously told the story with that coat.
I don't know why we did that, but the tradition still seems to exist. It even has a wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laternelaufen
I've never heard it called "Laternelaufen", though. We called it "Lampionumzug".

I'm named after my father :)
What's his name?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

In Germany, when we were young, we used to gather with paper lanterns with a candle inside and walk around as a group in the evening on St. Martin's Day while singing songs about lanterns ... and we were obviously told the story with that coat.
I don't know why we did that, but the tradition still seems to exist. It even has a wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laternelaufen
I've never heard it called "Laternelaufen", though. We called it "Lampionumzug".
That's very nice! Never heard of this one... Thanks for that story!

What's his name?
Identical to mine, both name and surname...

B

Bitmap

That's very nice! Never heard of this one... Thanks for that story!
I hated it, though. For one thing, some of the other children seemed to have much nicer lanterns than I did ... for another, I was too dumb to hold the bloody lantern straight, so my candle usually fell over and burned the thing ... and then I was the only kid without a functioning lantern.

Identical to mine, both name and surname...
Cool! So you're Martin Junior.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I hated it, though. For one thing, some of the other children seemed to have much nicer lanterns than I did ... for another, I was too dumb to hold the bloody lantern straight, so my candle usually fell over and burned the thing ... and then I was the only kid without a functioning lantern.
Awww....
Cool! So you're Martin Junior.
Yeah, Martin II

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I tend to be more interested in the Italic gods who weren't aligned to Greek Gods, like Pōmōna, Quirīnus, or Iānus.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

...What's your favourite?
Carolus Darwinius, also called "Lux Pater", shedder of light in dark places, for sure! He is closely followed by Rickhardus Dawkinsis, chastiser of the ignorants...

In a more serious vein , I would have to choose Janus, a relic of the time before the Greek anthropomorphising imperative insinuated its way into Italian theology, since I love new beginnings and adventures of diverse kinds.

Last edited:

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Carolus Darwinius, also called "Lux Pater", shedder of light in dark places, for sure! He is closely followed by Rickhardus Dawkinsis, chastiser of the ignorants...

In a more serious vein , I would have to choose Janus, since I love new beginnings and adventures of diverse kinds.
Wouldn't it be brilliant to turn Dawkins into a god, the god of atheism.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

He might have to form a triumvirate with Hitchens and Dennett, and then we must make M'Lord Russell the "Divus Primarius", and Dawkins, Hitchens, and Dennett could then all be "jealous gods".

Last edited: