Do you have a favorite Roman god?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

didn't know that god, interesting

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gods can be (and usually are) jealous...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me."

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me."

Yes, this was the god I had in mind when I said that... But also those Greek gods seem to be jealous among themselves. Perhaps they shouldn't... (As for this god of the Hebrews, in a way it seems to make sense he is jealous... he's a lonely one.)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Hawkwood

• Civis

The Romans had a lot of gods and godesses... Most unknown to us, a few unknown even to them by the first century CE... What's your favourite?

(Here's a list.)

This question might be better served if it fell into categories so there's a bit of context. Examples being war, revenge, health, fortune, etc.

It's still a good question, by the way meisenimverbis I just think it could be tweaked.

Edit: a singular to a plural.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A Roman wouldn't think like that, right? That he would angry one god by prefering another...

B

Bitmap

I think Romans were fine with the idea of preferring one god over another, so long as you don't do anything to make another deity angry ... but praying to one god in particular is nothing that makes the others angry.

TheOtherDrew

I'd definitely pick the minor god(dess) Atlantius (roman equivalent the greek Hermaphroditus). Because as far as I can tell they're the only nonbinary/genderfluid deity & I feel like they'd have my back.

Last edited:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Auro(raoraorao)ra, buddy. No question.
Stand Cries / ORA ORA ORA / MUDA MUDA MUDA | Know Your Meme680 × 1129

One of the attributives used of her in Vedic is yāvayaddvēṣas 'driving-off-enmity', so I guess this stupid Jojo's reference isn't totally lost.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris