Doubt with vowels' length in incidere

jacobus

Hi there, I was looking up the verb incidēre in Wiktionary.org and I saw that the IPA transcription is : /inˈki.de.re/ Shouldn’t that be /ɪnˈkɪ.deː.rɛ/ ?
I asked that since I saw the long macron only on “ē” so I assumed all other vowels are short. Am I correct?
Thanks for helping,
Giacomo

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Well, there's no such verb as an infinitive, that is. But I've just realized maybe you were actually looking at a conjugated form (like the third person plural perfect indicative active or the second person singular future indicative passive, where the e is long).

In that case, the stress goes on the penultimate syllable, too.

jacobus

Sorry, I didn't write the question properly, I try to clarify, in Wiktionary I saw the form incidēre (third person plural perfect indicative active) and I saw that the phonetical transcription of it it is /inˈki.de.re/ but shouldn't that be /ɪn.kɪ.deː.rɛ/ ? (I assume the only long vowel is the first 'e'. Am I wrong? I am assuming that in verbs' conjugations only long vowels are noted with macrons and that if there is no macro at all the vowel is short by default, am I correct?

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
The stress should be marked on the penultimate syllable.
I've lost count of the number of threads discussing errors in Wiktionary. Get a good book and stick with that.