Editions of De Bello Gallico

NubusLatinae1770

Salvete Omnes!

I'm posting to inquire as to which is the best beginning edition to start reading libri Caesaris Commentarii de bello gallico?

I have a few editions in mind, one based on my need of a crutch grammatically so to speak, and the second because of my desire to have all seven books in one bound volume.

My first inclination was to obtain the Bristol Classical Press edition, though this edition is pricey considering it includes only one book per binding. Yet this has copious grammatical and syntactical analysis.

My second thought was to the Loeb Classical Library edition, Latin/English edition, yet this is bereft of any grammar/syntax help.

I'm just curious which edition was most helpful to those who initiated Caesar in the beginning of their second year learning latin.

Currently I'm reading a few works, including the Breviarium ab urbe condita, liber tertius, yet I'm looking to move on to Caesar afterwards.

Many thanks!

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Now I'm wondering: has nothing like this been published for Caesar?

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

NebusLatinae1770: I recommend this annotated edition from 1907. It includes several historical, grammatical and vocabulary notes in the lower half of each page (at least up to book V, and part of book VI) with references to an extensive grammar appendix. The text is also fully macronised.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

That works.

NubusLatinae1770

Hello AoM, rothbard,

Many thanks to you both.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Now I'm wondering: has nothing like this been published for Caesar?
Since you mention it - is it right that that one has such enormous margins on the pages? As you can see in the preview. And in that case, are there any editions that don't?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Since you mention it - is it right that that one has such enormous margins on the pages? As you can see in the preview. And in that case, are there any editions that don't?
Nope. It's definitely a mistake (see the two one-star reviews). But I've gotten used to it (and it was only $30). One of those reviews suggests checking the other sellers for an older edition.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Only $30? The original Macmillan hardback, with normal margins, cost far less than that, and it wasn't all that long ago.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Only $30? The original Macmillan hardback, with normal margins, cost far less than that, and it wasn't all that long ago.
Introduction + text and commentary for six books: $30 isn't bad imo. I guess I'm mainly comparing them to OCT and the Cambridge green and yellows.

Do you have a link to this hardback? Or is it not sold anymore?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

No, I was thinking of when I bought them. I assume the hardback edition is no longer available, or there wouldn't be this new paperback one. What do OCTs and the Cambridge series cost nowadays?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Depends on the text; usually around the same price (but less content); e.g.,

Cambridge: Aeneid Book XI - $35
OCT: De Bello Gallico (hardcover) - $35

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Nope. It's definitely a mistake (see the two one-star reviews). But I've gotten used to it (and it was only $30). One of those reviews suggests checking the other sellers for an older edition.
It's funny, because the one one Amazon.uk has mostly top reviews, and no mentions of those margins, even though it appears to be exactly the same edition. But whatever, I guess you can use those margins for jotting down notes, or making nice illustrations to the text.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Or indeed drawings of anything else. Where do you think I get most of my avatars from?

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, those are mostly book margin drawings, aren't they? Not necessarily from books about epic battles between half-dead unicorns and bored-to-death gryphons?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

It's funny, because the one one Amazon.uk has mostly top reviews, and no mentions of those margins, even though it appears to be exactly the same edition. But whatever, I guess you can use those margins for jotting down notes, or making nice illustrations to the text.
I think the reviews may be messed up. Two of the reviews mention book 1 only. I've seen this before where the reviews seem to be for something other than the product above. But maybe it's just something with those two reviewers...

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Ok. But the one you've got has those margins? And it works out for you?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Yup to both. And although I have a certain issue with one of the editor's commentary, I also recommend this one (a little more expensive, but more recent).

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It's funny, because the one one Amazon.uk has mostly top reviews, and no mentions of those margins, even though it appears to be exactly the same edition.
Book publishing has become a global bun fight, and a lot of the books that get published these days don't have a publisher at all in the traditional sense. For example, though OUP are the titular publishers of Eleanor Dickey's recent book Ancient Greek Scholarship, if you buy the book you get sent a POD copy, not something that has lain in OUP's warehouse until you placed your order. Most new Loebs too are POD now, and the print quality of these is wretched - not quite as bad as OCT's, but wretched enough. At least Loebs are sewn bindings (for now), whilst OCT's have long not been.

At the risk of repeating myself, if the book you're after was around before the advent of the digital age, I would always try to get hold of a secondhand copy before considering buying new. There are plenty of secondhand dealers out there. Their stock may take a little more time to search than Amazon's, but I'd rather give most of them my money than Amazon any day. Another bonus is you can haggle with the secondhand sellers. I always do, and very rarely don't get a worthwhile discount.