Tattoo EGO AD ASTRUENDAM

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

On a general note, your thread would ideally have had an English title (consisting of the phrase you wanted translating) and been put in the English-Latin sub-forum.
To his defence, it was actually first posted in the English-Latin forum (though already with the title it has now), but someone (mistakenly enough) moved it here.

Aurelius

Thank you to all of you for the assistance. It was not my intention to come charging into your Discussion full of demands and with a stereotypical boorish American attitude. I now have in my possession Cassell's Latin Dictionary (recommendations on a better text?), and Henle's "First Year Latin" and "Grammar". Suggestions as to how to proceed from there would be appreciated. I do have a background in Italian and Spanish (Romance languages derived from Latin), and so I cannot imagine how difficult intricate thinking about an unspoken language could be. It will be intimidating to proceed, but I will do what I can on my own. Suggestions for assistance?

With apologies from Infacundus from California; could the following work:

LAVDO VT CVREM be a possibility for "I praise (those that strive) to care (lend assistance to those in needs)".

I will now stop trying to translate until my skills are MUCH better. I promise. My appointment for the new "yin" to my "yang" is in 3 days. Any suggestions to my text selections would be greatly appreciated, as would advise as to how to proceed in Latin Studies as a working professional and a family man.

Thank you, all, again.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I now have in my possession Cassell's Latin Dictionary (recommendations on a better text?), and Henle's "First Year Latin" and "Grammar". Suggestions as to how to proceed from there would be appreciated.
I suppose "First Year Latin" is a basic course: if yes, then I'd advise you to do it in the most straightforward way, which is to read this book, study the stuff explained in it and do the exercises, from the beginning to the end, so you assimilate the basics. This would be the first step.
LAVDO VT CVREM be a possibility for "I praise (those that strive) to care (lend assistance to those in needs)".
No.

What about laudo egentium adiutores, LAVDO·EGENTIVM·ADIVTORES, "I praise the helpers of the needy", or laudo miserorum adiutores, LAVDO·MISERORVM·ADIVTORES, "I praise the helpers of the unfortunate"?

I know it's a bit more than 18 characters, but there's a limit to what you can express in so short a space.

Aurelius

Thank you Pacis. I will honor my pledge to never attempt to translate again until I am able to do so with more confidence in my abilities to do so. I truly appreciate all of your help, and all of the help to a neophyte from all others.

Everyone here has been very enlightening, and have peeked my interest to the point that learning what I can about the Latin language has become a little obsessive in the last few weeks. I will continue on with my studies.

If we erase the: "I, you (formal and familiar), we, he, she, they"aspects, is there a way to come to what in Spanish and Italian they consider a "Command Voice"? (It has been long enough ago since I studied languages formally that I am sure that I may be off on my EXACT term).

Please assist in the translation of: MISERORVM=unfortunate.............. Help the Unfortunate.

You owe me nothing, but you have given so much.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

What you're after is an imperative.

"Help the unfortunate", as an imperative to one person, would be ADIVVA MISEROS. The plural imperative would be ADIVVATE MISEROS.

Edit: Or (inspired by a litterature bit some of my collegues will recognize): SVCCVRRE MISERIS (singular)/SVCCVRRITE MISERIS (plural).

Aurelius

Pacis to the rescue. Thank you for all of your help. I am truly apologetic for coming into this Forum quite aggressively. I thought that with my slices of knowledge in Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Dari, Pashto, and German I would find more commonalities in Latin than I have found. There are obvious keys in Spanish, Italian, French, and some German from the Roman influence; but the differences are more pronounced than I thought they would be. Thank you for the inspiration. The influence to the East is more pronounced in Greek than the later Latin. I love the Classics. With all respects to you Pacis, thank you once again.

The second translation in the plural is close to the foundation of the modern english "succor", go to the aid of, bring aid to, furnish relief. Am I wrong in thinking that back to the "legend" of the foundation of Rome with the two wolves; Romulus and Remus, that there was mention of the mother "succoring" her offspring, or something similar? That memory goes back many years, and I may be completely wrong. It was a Roman Archaeology course over 20 years ago.

Aurelius

I have been spending what is likely too much time on Latin in the last month, but SVCCVRRITE MISERIS has proven to be exactly what I was looking for.
My biggest frustration in Latin so far is that it is not spoken, so it is very difficult to hear the language and the annunciations. I am not Catholic, but I was able to find a VERY fundamentalist church where I can hear someone speaking some modern version of Latin.
Still learning.