"Egregios proceres currum servare Cybellae, quem traheret conducta manus Megalensibus actis, arboris

latinV

The full text is:

a) Arnob. L. V. adv. gentes "Egregios proceres currum servare Cybellae, quem traheret conducta manus Megalensibus actis, arboris excisae truncum portare per urbem, Attin castratum subito praedicere solem." Commodianus in lib, adv. pag.

Pacifica and Bitmap and others have helped me before; your continued help is cordially appreciated.

This is a notation to the following passage:
“Therefore, it seem to me that some researchers of antiquity err, in assuming that there were two completely different corporations of Dendrophors among the Romans, one liturgical and one separate, connected with the artisans, and concerned only with wood.”

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You haven't posted the entire sentence.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Arnobius, book V of Adversus Gentes. "Eminent nobles guarded the chariot of Cybele, drawn by a hired group of people at the Megalesia, carried the trunk of a felled tree through the city, and suddenly proclaimed the castrated Attis to be the sun." Commodianus in the book Adversus Paganos.

I don't know what's up with the references, whether the passage is found in both works cited, only one of them or neither. Haven't checked.

If you need to know what the titles mean, Adversus Gentes = Against the Gentiles and Adversus Paganos = Against the Heathen (basically the same thing).

latinV

Arnobius, book V of Adversus Gentes. "Eminent nobles guard the chariot of Cybele, drawn by a hired group of people at the Megalesia, carried the trunk of a felled tree through the city, and suddenly proclaimed the castrated Attis to be the sun." Commodianus in the book Adversus Paganos.

I don't know what's up with the references, whether the passage is found in both works cited, only one of them or neither. Haven't checked.

If you need to know what the titles mean, Adversus Gentes = Against the Gentiles and Adversus Paganos = Against the Heathen (basically the same thing).
Thank you, Pacifica, the more I am made known, the better I can do justice to the author and to the readers of this translated work. I only hope I am not too taxing to you and the others on this forum.

Next note, Note b)

b) "Hi enim, non ipsi Galli Deae ministri, sed omnes qui ejus Bacchi, Sylvani, Apollinis, Hecates, et Cereris (nam et horum honoribus institutas fuisse δενδϱοφοϱιας est apud Strab. L. X.) orgia celebrabant professionis gentilitiae in συςημα, συςημα έυαγες, έταιϱειαν, corpus quoddam ίεϱατιϰον, collectae, de quibus L. 20. C. Theod. de pag. sacr. et temp. intelligenda est." Reines. l. c.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thank you, Pacifica
I should have written "guarded" instead of "guard". I've already corrected my post but I'm not sure you saw it since the mistake is still there in your quote.
I only hope I am not too taxing to you and the others on this forum.
We're glad to translate a few sentences for free. However, if you need 21 pages translated, there will come a time when you need to pay.

latinV

Arnobius, book V of Adversus Gentes. "Eminent nobles guarded the chariot of Cybele, drawn by a hired group of people at the Megalesia, carried the trunk of a felled tree through the city, and suddenly proclaimed the castrated Attis to be the sun." Commodianus in the book Adversus Paganos.

Pacifica: Your translation has been encoded and entered at the proper place under note a) here:
http://www.freemasonryresearchforumqsa.com/kraus/0-s2v2-02-vitruvius.php#a187

latinV

I should have written "guarded" instead of "guard". I've already corrected my post but I'm not sure you saw it since the mistake is still there in your quote.
We're glad to translate a few sentences for free. However, if you need 21 pages translated, there will come a time when you need to pay.
Gladly so. Let me know how much and how.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Gladly so. Let me know how much and how.
Personally, I can take care of Latin, but can't guarantee anything about Greek.

To quote a price, I need to see the entirety of what you need translated.

I'll PM you to discuss this in private.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It's definitely not Arnobius. It appears to come from an anonymous poem Adversus Paganos (the lines are, in fact, hexameter), which I guess was attributed to Commodian in whatever time this note was written. (Commodian's main work, Carmen Apologeticum or Carmen de Duobus Populis, is also one that was not transmitted along with his name but is now attributed to him with some confidence, so I suppose this Adversus Paganos was also once attributed to him). And of course Adversus Gentes and Adversus Paganos are not at all the same work.
I don't know what the Arnobius citation has to do with anything and I don't want to read the entire 5th book to find out.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

And of course Adversus Gentes and Adversus Paganos are not at all the same work.
I didn't mean to say they were the same work. Only that the titles had virtually the same meaning.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Yes, I didn't think you did. I just wanted to clarify that.

B

Bitmap

These are hexameters from this poem http://www.divusangelus.it/anth/anthologia003.htm dependent on a previous vidimus. The last line is probably to be taken as "We saw the sun suddenly predict castrated Attis", i.e. the resurrection of Attis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilaria

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The last line is probably to be taken as "We saw the sun suddenly predict castrated Attis", i.e. the resurrection of Attis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilaria
The sun predicted (the resurrection of) castrated Attis? How? What's the story? (I skimmed the Wiki article and didn't find it.)

If that's what is meant, it seems a bit weird for the idea of resurrection not to be actually expressed in the Latin.

I thought the subject of praedicere was still proceres, as with servare and portare, and I thought declaring Attis to be the sun could make sense because, in the same Wiki article, I read that he was once mistaken for a sun deity:
The 19th-century identification with the name Atys encountered in Herodotus (i.34–45) as the historical name of the son of Croesus ("Atys the sun god, slain by the boar's tusk of winter")[4] is mistaken.
But if the mistake was only made in the 19th century I guess it doesn't fit.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Well, that says a 19th-century identification...

B

Bitmap

The sun predicted (the resurrection of) castrated Attis? How? What's the story? (I skimmed the Wiki article and didn't find it.)

If that's what is meant, it seems a bit weird for the idea of resurrection not to be actually expressed in the Latin.

I thought the subject of praedicere was still proceres, as with servare and portare, and I thought declaring Attis to be the sun could make sense because, in the same Wiki article, I read that he was once mistaken for a sun deity:

But if the mistake was only made in the 19th century I guess it doesn't fit.

Predicting Attis to be the sun doesn't really seem to make sense in the context of that festival because that's not what they do ... they carry the trunk of a tree to the temple of Cybele on 22 March, then have 2 days of mourning over the death of Attis (including 1 day where people get castigated or castrated) and on 25 March celebrate the resurrection of him. It has some interesting parallels to our Easter (quite possible that Christianity just took over parts of it as it did with Christmas), so I took the sun in the meaning '(break of) day', just like the sunrise on Easter Sunday announces the resurrection of Christ in Christian culture.
The resurrection is not in the text, I'm just trying to put it in the context of that festival because, as I said, identifying him with the sun didn't seem to be part of it.

The accusative subject of the AcIs depending on vidimus shifts several times, so it wouldn't have felt unusual to me if it shifted yet again there.