Et mario nato de patre

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I saw the weird delicta being swapped about, and suspect that it will spread further. That's what I meant about the US genealogy sites.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I saw the weird delicta being swapped about, and suspect that it will spread further. That's what I meant about the US genealogy sites.
Maybe it will end up in the Neo-Latin lexicon ;)

Epiphania

How does post delictus translate literally? Clearly "of the late" is a liberal interpretation of the phrase. I can't recall seeing it anywhere. Are there any texts you can point us to with it used in this way?
I just found one of those genealogy websites that Etaoin mentioned. Clearly you know your Latin, so I'm not implying that this website is to be trusted. Just wanted to show you a source.

http://www.halgal.com/marriagerecord.html

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

For what it's worth, post delicta doesn't seem to make much sense to me, either. I mean it could make sense, but a wildly different one from the one they claim it has.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I just found one of those genealogy websites that Etaoin mentioned. Clearly you know your Latin, so I'm not implying that this website is to be trusted. Just wanted to show you a source.

http://www.halgal.com/marriagerecord.html
The site is the creation of the person who wrote the article Mafalda provided a link to in post 7.

Maybe someone would like to contact him and ask him how he knows p.d. stands for post delicta and how it can mean "deceased".

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

For what it's worth, post delicta doesn't seem to make much sense to me, either. I mean it could make sense, but a wildly different one from the one they claim it has.
fil. leg. p.d. Adalberti

Legitimate after the shotgun wedding perhaps?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Maybe someone would like to contact him and ask him how he knows p.d. stands for post delicta and how it can mean "deceased".
My WAG is that he has heard the phrase corpus delicti, and has already mistranslated that into 'dead body'. Also, he has a notion that post means 'after'.

Epiphania

The site is the creation of the person who wrote the article Mafalda provided a link to in post 7.

Message sent to the author! Will post the reply here if and when I hear back.

Epiphania

This is the reply I got from the author of the website:

'I'd say it's post defuntus/defuncta, as in "deceased" in English.

They do not always use it, so if in a marriage record the groom is listed as a son of John and Mary, you don't know if the parents are alive or not.

But it's very handy if that "p.d." Is listed before the patent's name.'

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Prius defunctus or praedefunctus ("previously deceased") seems to make more sense in this context than post defunctus ("afterwards deceased").