etiam imbellis bella repellit homo

Rocit

Salvete!

Could you please check if I got the sense of this latin:

Not with a tender language he (urges) the bulls, but they oppose with their heels,
In vain even the peaceable man compels the skirmish.

Thanks for help!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oxen don't resist by licking with their tongues but with their heels:
In vain does even an unwarlike man repel wars.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The message seems to be that you can't put off wars by speeches.
But kicking against the pricks, as the phrase goes (wider den Stachel loecken, as in the German - that's the play on words in the German - loecken/lecken), does no good at all, and the poor oxen kicking but forced to plough on does seem to argue for using your tongue instead.

More and more (to be honest), this emblems book seems both badly written and unintelligent.

Rocit

Thank you, pacis puella and limetrees! I believe I'm getting it now...

As for being "badly written and unintelligent", I don't really see in what way is it "badly written", except for multiple errors, which are none in this very case, aren't they?

Rocit

A very difficult emblem...
Could you please help decipher the beginning of the commentary to this, very puzzling one:

Ne Hercules quidem contra duos. Saepe quidem in variis regionibus eversi sunt Reges; quibus expulsis, & per verae libertatis imperitiem, devotis, successit aut caecae popularitatis imperium, aut permissa proceribus potentia, id est, multiplex, pro unico quod expulerant, regnum.

It's not a certain Hercules against the two. Often in various regions there were Kings overthrown; driven out of there, & per verae libertatis imperitiem, devotis there followed either people's blind reign or the allowed authority of leaders, that is to say, mulptiple (for the one that they banished) governing (-ment).

Uff... any ideas?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Maybe something like this, wait for others though.

Not even Hercules against two. However in various regions the kings have been often overthrown; having those been expelled, and for inexperience of true freedom, execrated, followed a blind sovereignity of the population or the power left to the chiefs, that is, a multiple kingship for the one that they expelled.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh
Wow, Laurentius, I liked your translation very much! Thank you a lot!
Oh thanks. :) But wait for other opinions anyway. ;)

Edit: maybe for "per" it's better "though", I am not sure.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe something like this, wait for others though.

Not even Hercules against two. However in various regions the kings have been often overthrown; having those been expelled, and for inexperience of true freedom, execrated, followed a blind sovereignity of the population, or the power left to the chiefs, that is, a multiple kingship for the one that they expelled.
Quidem is more like "certainly" than "however".
"Having those been expelled" looks weird, better "those having been expelled", or even better here I think "and after they were expelled".
Is Hercules the exclamation or are they really talking about Hercules? What text precedes this?
Edit: maybe for "per" it's better "though", I am not sure.
I am not sure either; per is more literal of course but I think either can work here.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Quidem is more like "certainly" than "however".
Ah thanks, I don't know why but "certainly" sounded weird to me before.
"Having those been expelled" looks weird, better "those having been expelled", or even better here I think "and after they were expelled".
Ah thank you!
I am not sure either; per is more literal of course but I think either can work here.
Yes, it looks causal to me.

Oh and is there anything wrong with "population"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah thanks, I don't know why but "certainly" sounded weird to me before.
Maybe it does. In fact I said "cartainly" to be short, but it's often damn difficult to find the best English word to translate quidem. Not sure what would fit best here.
Oh and is there anything wrong with "population"?
I'm not sure, popularitas usually means popularity but also population in late Latin...

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Maybe it does. In fact I said "cartainly" to be short, but it's often damn difficult to find the best English word to translate quidem. Not sure what would fit best here.
I'm not sure, popularitas usually means popularity but also population in late Latin...
Oh I made an error anyway, I just noticed. In that case it would be "sovereignity of the blind population". I am not sure if it is popularity here or population. About quidem I think here "certainly" would fit better, but it is better if we see the previous text maybe.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Saepe quidem in variis regionibus eversi sunt Reges; quibus expulsis, & per verae libertatis imperitiam, devotis, successit aut caecae popularitatis imperium, aut permissa proceribus potentia, id est, multiplex, pro unico quod expulerant, regnum.

However in various regions the kings have been often overthrown; and when they were expelled, and cursed due to [people’s] ignorance of [what is] true freedom, there followed rule by a blind population or power surrendered to the nobles, that is, a multiple kingship for the one that they had expelled.

[better off to keep your king or you get rule by the rabble or aristocracy – many kings instead of one]

I will admit that the opening line in this context is a puzzle - even Hercules will not fight two. [is it that multiple kingship (aristocracy) is harder to defeat?]

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Oh I made an error anyway, I just noticed. In that case it would be "sovereignity of the blind population". I am not sure if it is popularity here or population.
I believe it here means popular sentiment, the favor of the masses.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I believe it here means popular sentiment, the favor of the masses.
Yes, thinking about it, "blind" seems to suggest it. Even though in tha latin text it sounds somehow weird to me, maybe it is just me.