Ex Deus de Nomine

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPalerinoJr

Hello everyone. I have a rather odd case here. To be honest it scares me more than anything in this world. Hear me out first then see if you can help me better understand the saying. I roughly know what it means by individual word translation and I knew what it meant at the time when I was saying it (kinda, I guess). Any help will be greatly appreciated. OK so last night I went to sleep like any other night around 10:30pm. Next thing I know I'm waking up in the morning fresh from a dream. I remember quite clearly what happened as i hung onto it. I don't mean to sound silly but a demon was after me. I was in a regular house (unfamiliar to me though) it was dark (supposedly night time) The demon would come after me when it was pitch dark or low light so I would try to light up the place best I could (candles, lights, flashlights. you name it I tried to use it.) However now thinking about it no matter what I used it seemed to fail after a while and i would have to find a new light source. Now, to the part your all waiting for. "Why are you on this forum?" Well.... I spoke Latin in my dream. I am a high school graduate with no schooling in Latin. I have no idea how to speak it but yet I knew what I was saying in my dream. On face to face confrontations with the demon I would say "Ex Deus de Nomine" and he would go away( he would resist tough it wasn't easy getting him to go away I would repeat the phrase several times.) and I would continue to find a light of some kind. But I only said it when he showed up and he only showed up in the presence of really low light or complete darkness. he had an aura about him kind a form of his own light but it was dark and gloomy. Needless to say as soon as I woke up ( around 5am which is REALLY weird for me. I sleep in a lot to like 9-10am.) the first thing I did was grab my Iphone right next to my bed and went to Google. I figured out the translations of the single words Ex ( Out of, From within, an account of.) Deus (God) de(About, concerning) and Nomine(By name, Expressly.) So i guess you could say.... I was roughly saying "In the name of God get out!" .......I don't know. Like I said it scares me that I even remotely spoke any type of other language in my dreams especially concerning the context of my dream. I'm not looking for any type of criticism, this is real it really did happen to me ( last night in fact its currently around 7am so i woke up around 3 hours ago from this dream.) Any help in interpreting both the phrase and my dream will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will answer. Thanks in advance. -Vince

EricDi

• Patronus

Re: Translation help- Ex Deus de Nomine

(Pretty thorough on the context.) You might rest assured in knowing 1) that it is nonsense in Latin, 2) each of these Latin words are fairly common and appear in the most superficial of references in films, TV shows, video games, or books that insert some Latin for flavor. Exorcist, any number of Hammer Films, Buffy, Supernatural, Ghost Hunters, you name it, they’re among the first Latin words to appear – but not in such a combination.

The set of words has two prepositions ex and de with only one word to which they could be associated – nomine (an ablative form which does take a preposition, implied or not).

Deus is a subject and can in no way be an object or reference to which the prepositions apply or even to which nomine applies.

There is no verb and none that I can think of that can be implied.

I do not wish to trivialize the shock of your experience – vivid dreams can certainly be unnerving. But again, rest assured, these words have no significance, except in the dream.

Caution: I am a novice who seeks to learn by engaging in discussion and attempting at times to help others where possible – seeking to be at least better than an auto-translator. Always wait for more experienced advice in the end. (How’s that for comfort? :) )

Regards.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Interesting... was one of the light sources a laptop displaying the InterTran homepage?

Ex Dei Nomine.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Vince,

As written it doesn't really mean anything. My guess is that your unconscious mind put together some familiar Latin words that seemed appropriate for the context of the dream.

From Latin prayer you have in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. You have the common expressions Deus ex machina and de facto. All those words are stored in your unconscious whether you have studied Latin or not and it's easy to see how they could have been selected and assembled into that order in your dream.

I won't attempt a Freudian analysis of your dream but any number of factors could have triggered it. It's not real, nothing supernatural is happening to you, and you should stop being frightened.

B

Bitmap

VPalerinoJr dixit:
blabla .. OK so last night I went to sleep like any other night around 10:30pm... bla .. Needless to say as soon as I woke up ( around 5am which is REALLY weird for me. I sleep in a lot to like 9-10am.)
wow, that's almost 12 hours of sleep - you must be a baby

Imprecator dixit:
Interesting... was one of the light sources a laptop displaying the InterTran homepage?
I think so, too - sleepwalking causes a lot of people to look up stupid phrases on internet translation programmes

Decimus Canus dixit:
It's not real, nothing supernatural is happening to you, and you should stop being frightened.
I think the demon will return, kill him and devour his soul

VPalerinoJr

Thanks to Distef and Decimus Canus for there thought out and well appreciated replies. Good to know its all babble and nothing to worry about. The mind can be tricky sometimes can't it? Further comments would be unnecisary as my mind is at rest not unless you feel like bsing like the the other two not so helpful posts. :) Thanks again Distef and Decimus Canus. -Vince

B

Bitmap

Sorry, can't be bothered to take trolls seriously. That's what you get if you write a lot of bullshit yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.