Extraterrestrial Homo sapiens (of each element) Discussion

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Merged threads

It would be interesting to see such species names.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

I realize resurrecting an six month old topic is, probably, frowned upon, but I figured it'd be better than creating a third topic on the subject named something like Extraterrestrial Species Names and having it merged into this one using the name of the new topic. Thus, I'd like this topic renamed to Extraterrestrial Nomenclature, if possible.

I'll be using "northern" and "southern" as the special identifiers until I decide on more permanent names. Would Zeppacus borealis and Zeppacus australis accomplish that correctly or not? If not, what are better options?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

It's perfectly fine to bump an old thread.
Zeppacus borealis/australis are fine.

Thanks. Somewhat ironically, I just thought of the northern population's final name: the Coastal Zeppac. What are some ways to say "coastal"? I may use a completely descriptive name, such as the translation of "gill-snake" (or something close thereto), for the generic* name. What are some possibilities for it, if any exist.? Also, is "generic" the correct adjectival form of "genera"?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

There's the Seaside little bluestem: Schizachyrium littorale
Zeppacus littoralis.

I'm thinking of naming the Zeppacs from deeper down something like the blue zeppac or the trench zeppac? Would Zeppacus glauca work for the blue zeppac (e.g. Prionace glauca (blue shark)), if I go that route? What are some ways to say "trench"?

I've decided make the Zeppac(original description below as a reminder) a species of aquatic humanoids with blue skin textured like a whale’s from another planet who are able to reproduce with us.

Physically, they resemble the basic structure of the human form with a head, a torso, two arms and two legs. However, their hands and feet, each of which has three digits, are webbed because of their aquatic nature with the hands having flexible webbing and the feet having rigid webbing.

Other qualities that set them apart from humans are the gills on their necks and snake-like tails.
The other clarification I have is that they have two slits in place of a human nose. However, they no longer have a tail. Would H. s. aquarius suffice as a name, or should I use a completely different species name because they’re extraterrestrials?

Technical Assistant Edit: Merged quotes

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

They are able to reproduce with Homo sapiens? With fertile offspring?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Thanks, Iohannes.

Yes scrabulista, that's the intention. Granted, it may require me to alter them to have ten fingers and ten toes.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Oh, no, organisms can have different numbers of fingers and toes and still be the same species.

Homo sapiens ssp. aquarius is fine.
Also Homo sapiens ssp. glaucus.

Okay. I'm moving them to a planet named Salacia, which they'll inhabit with terrestrial humans. How would I say "man with amphibian-like/amphibious qualities," and which one would be the correct usage in this situation?

What's the proper adjectival form of Salacia in Latin? I know English speakers would add an "n" to make it "Salacian," but its sapient inhabitants prefer Latin to English.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I have done what you asked me to do. I also merged your suggested title with the current title, as "Extraterrestrial Discussion" is too broad for this topic.

Okay. Thanks.

Also, a correct approximation of the phonetics of both words would be nice. I know you frown upon posting stuff from translators, but google translate pronounced "Salacia" as "sah-lah-chee-ah" when I thought it'd be "sah-lah-kee-ah" as wikipedia doesn't provide the IPA of her name.

The Zeppak is now able to reproduce with us, and therefor, a subspecies of Homō sapiens, again. Seeing as Glaucus/Glaukus is a genera of sea slug, I'd rather not use that for the subspecies. Thus, I looked up both "wise man fish" (sapiens pisces) and "wise fish man" (sapiens autem piscium). Would Homō sapiens pisces or Homō sapiens piscium be a better way of saying "wise man with fish-like qualities"?

This is a rehash of this post because no one has replied to it in just over five months. The scientific name of sargons should translate into "wise man with fish-like qualities." I know "wise man" is Homó sapiens from the scientific name of humans, Homó sapiens sapiens. Yet, the only translation I can find for "fish-like" is quasi piscis, which doesn't suit my purposes. Thus, how would one say "wise man with fish-like qualities"?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

There's an adjective "piscarius" meaning "of or relating to fish".
So you could perhaps say "homo sapiens piscarius".

Here's the current backstory for Sargons:
Homó piskárius, more properly H. sapiens piskárius, is an offshoot of H. s. sapiens (mankind) that diverged from its parent species several centuries ago after 800 or so Greek and Roman citizens, many of whom were members of Salákia’s cult, took the legends about the lost continent of Pandora to heart and decided to try finding it in 107 BCE. While everyone expected Salákia to protect her cult members from death on their dives, very few expected her to protect the others who’d come along despite her being known as the calm aspect of the sea, at the time. Those Romans found Pandora on 1 Sólárius, then Iúnius, 106 BCE and kept the find among themselves out of fear that they’d be put to death if it got out. Therefore, they, and their descendants, have referred to the years prior to that date as ante annum Pandorai (AAP) (before the year of Pandora) and the ones after the date as anno Pandorai (AP) (in the year of Pandora) ever since, making that date the beginning of AP 1.

By the end of Október AP 3, Salákia sectioned off an area consisting of 2 square miles (5.18 sq. kilometers) extending north, south, and west from the coastal point at which one explorer made the discovery where the people could live safely and explore more without having to dive anymore. Exploration of that area continued for another five years or so before they even had to rely on Salákia’s protection again. By the end of AP 25, Salákia had expanded her protection from the initial area to the entire continent.

I'm playing with the idea of having Salákia manipulate their genome so they may reproduce with any oceanic mammal that overlaps with their range as well as humans. I know I'd need to change the subspecies' name. H. s. maritimus is the front-runner for the new name. Would I have to make up a new generic name as well?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Hmm....good question. I would think that if a species could alter its genome, the very concept of genus and species is thrown into disarray.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris