Facilitas - O. N. Jones - Blackie

KarlaUK

Will anyone help with my translations of the English into basic Latin to foster my learning. Many thanks.
A lot of research for these. So many questions about the constructions and vocabulary.

Facilitas - excercises for Latin prose composition and vocabulary acquisition.
Chapter I - Accusative
C
1. He walked for 200 miles, for one mile, for three miles, for several miles.
Ducenta mīlia passuum, mīlle passum, tria mīlia passuum, aliquot mīlia passuum ambulāvit.
2. The tree is two feet high, 200 feet high, 50 feet high.
Duōs pedēs alta, ducentōs pedēs alta, quīnquāgintā pēdes alta arbor est.
3. The sea is many thousands of feet deep.
Mīlia multa pēdes alta mare est.
4. That mountain is 3000 feet high.
Ille mōns tria mīlia pēdes alta est.
5. This river is many feet wide, 400 miles long, 1000 yards wide.
Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multa pēdes latus (latum), quadringentōs pēdes passuum longus, mille passūs latus est.
6. That river is several thousand yards wide, a few feet deep.
Ille fluvius aliquot milia passūs latus, paucōs pēdes est.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ducenta mīlia passuum, mīlle passum, tria mīlia passuum, aliquot mīlia passuum ambulāvit.
Good, except the typo in mille passum for passuum or passus (either is fine).
2. The tree is two feet high, 200 feet high, 50 feet high.
Duōs pedēs alta, ducentōs pedēs alta, quīnquāgintā pēdes alta arbor est.
Good.
You need the genitive after milia, and mare is neuter.
Again, you need the genitive after milia, and mons is masculine.
Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multa pēdes latus (latum), quadringentōs pēdes passuum longus, mille passūs latus est.
Multa doesn't agree with pedes.

Miles are milia passuum, not pedes passuum.

My dictionary suggests ulna for "yard".
Again, you need the genitive after milia.

You're missing the word for "deep".

KarlaUK

KarlaUK dixit:
Good, except the typo in mille passum for passuum or passus (either is fine).
http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/ has the declension wrong then. There is a lot of conflicting or incomplete information around re miles I found it hard to come up for the correct combination for 'one mile'. The current book is for reviewing known concepts so tends to gloss a little. None of my other books went into detail either. Passūs of step, passuum of steps; partitive genitive.

Ducenta mīlia passuum, mille passūs/passuum, tria mīlia passuum, aliquot mīlia passuum ambulāvit.
You need the genitive after milia, and mare is neuter.
I knew mare was neuter but got the number wrong.
The example in the book shows duocentōs pēdes altus - 200 feet high (macrons are mine). That misled me.

Mīlia multōs pedum altum mare est.

KarlaUK dixit:
Again, you need the genitive after milia, and mons is masculine.
Ille mōns trēs/trīs mīlia pedum altus est.

KarlaUK dixit:
Multa doesn't agree with pedes.

Miles are milia passuum, not pedes passuum.

My dictionary suggests ulna for "yard".
It took me a while to sort out a construction for sentences using esse. I have guessed that the (is) high/wide/deep/long goes in the nominative to match the subject and the many feet/400 miles/100 yards goes the accusative (with possibly the partitive genitive).

I. I have no idea what I was thinking here. Starting get muddled with miles and feet.
II. Ooops; see I.
III. Ulna is a bone of the forearm; much smaller than a yard. Google translate uses ulna for yard. Wikipedia does not mention ulna or yard. My book translates yard as passus. Kennedy's Primer says ulna was variable. England adopted the double-ell as a measurement where the ell was a cognate of the Latin ulna (ulna probably similar to a cubit plus a palm length).
Passus
is roughly 1.5 yards. Roman standardisation made the step slightly less than a yard and the pace (passus) slightly more. I guess it was more of an exercise is using the accusative than determining an accurate distance.
My book gives an example of trecentos passus latus - 300 yards wide. I was uncomfortable using the same translation of one mile as 1000 yards but had not seen an alternative.

Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multōs pedum latus (latum), quadringentōs mīlia passuum longus, mille passūs/passuum/ulnārum latus est.

KarlaUK dixit:
Again, you need the genitive after milia.

You're missing the word for "deep".
I used the genitive but got the number wrong again.

Ille fluvius aliquot mīlia passuum latus, paucōs pedum/pēdes altus est.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/ has the declension wrong then. There is a lot of conflicting or incomplete information around re miles I found it hard to come up for the correct combination for 'one mile'. The current book is for reviewing known concepts so tends to gloss a little. None of my other books went into detail either. Passūs of step, passuum of steps; partitive genitive.
Passus in mille passus here would be accusative plural, not genitive. While the form passus can also be genitive singular, that wouldn't make sense in the context of miles, which are made up of many steps.
Mīlia multōs pedum altum mare est.
Pedum is correct now. However, you were right the first time in milia multa. Multos doesn't agree.
Ille mōns trēs/trīs mīlia pedum altus est.
Tres/tris doesn't correctly agree with milia.
III. Ulna is a bone of the forearm; much smaller than a yard. Google translate uses ulna for yard. Wikipedia does not mention ulna or yard. My book translates yard as passus. Kennedy's Primer says ulna was variable. England adopted the double-ell as a measurement where the ell was a cognate of the Latin ulna (ulna probably similar to a cubit plus a palm length).
Passus
is roughly 1.5 yards. Roman standardisation made the step slightly less than a yard and the pace (passus) slightly more. I guess it was more of an exercise is using the accusative than determining an accurate distance.
My book gives an example of trecentos passus latus - 300 yards wide. I was uncomfortable using the same translation of one mile as 1000 yards but had not seen an alternative.
OK. I'm not an expert on measurements. If your book thinks passus is good enough, I guess it is.
Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multōs pedum latus (latum), quadringentōs mīlia passuum longus, mille passūs/passuum/ulnārum latus est.
Pedes was right the first time. It's just that multa didn't correctly agree with it.

Quadringentos doesn't correctly agree with milia.

Milia usually takes a partitive genitive; mille usually does not. There is a common enough exception in mille passuum, which occurs as well as mille passus. The same construction with ulnarum would probably be unusual, though, so I'd say mille ulnas.
Ille fluvius aliquot mīlia passuum latus, paucōs pedum/pēdes altus est.
Pedes is the right option.

KarlaUK

Thanks @Pacifica
Starting to get what needs to agree with what, although yesterday's heat caused brain fade. Struggling makes things stick in the mind better, though.

Ducenta mīlia passuum, mille passus (AccS)/passuum(GenP), tria mīlia passuum, aliquot mīlia passuum ambulāvit.

Mīlia multa pedum altum mare est.

Ille mōns tria mīlia pedum altus est.

Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multōs pēdes latus (latum), quadringenta mīlia passuum longus, mille passūs/ulnas latus est.

Ille fluvius aliquot milia passūs latus, paucōs pēdes altus est.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's good now, except the last sentence where you forgot to use the genitive after milia.

KarlaUK

Hic fluvius (hoc flūmen) multōs pedēs latus (latum), quadringenta mīlia passuum longus, mille passūs/ulnas latus est.

Ille fluvius aliquot mīlia passuum latus, paucōs pedēs altus est.