facta non verba

Ovid

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a phrase that sums up "actions speak louder than words". So far I have:

"facta non verba"

Do you think this sums up the sentiment well enough?

Kindest regards,

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I suppose it does: "Deeds, not words".

I can suggest some other quotations along the same line, albeit of a religious character:

In the Epistle of James we find:

Estote autem factores verbi, et non auditores tantum...

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only...

(i:22)

And a little later:

...fides sine operibus mortua est.

...faith without works is dead.

(ii: 26)

And Christ Himself, in Matthew's Gospel (vii: 21) says:

Non omnis, qui dicit mihi, Domine, Domine, intrabit in regnum coelorum: sed qui facit voluntatem Patris mei...

Not everyone who says unto me "Lord, Lord" shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Wasn't facta non verba actually said by a classical author? Perhaps Seneca? (Not sure why he came to mind, just a gut feeling.)

Ovid

Thank you Iynx, your suggestions were helpful. Much appreciated.

quemquem me facis, I'm not sure of the origins of "facta non verba" but it was suggested to me by a student of classical latin / literature so it could have very well have been written by a classical author. I shall investigate.

curiosus

There is a well known saying in Latin that goes "acta virum probant" (the actions prove the man) that expresses that thought. I'd rather use acta than facta in this case. Although both words are correct, facta implies works, fruits, while acta includes any action.