Fate fell short

ltf123

I am trying to translate "fate fell short" - so far i have been suggested derivatives such as "lack of fate" "fate failed" and "fate missing" and been told translations such as fatorum defuit, fati deficiente and defectum fatum. As someone with no Latin experience my head is spinning.

The aim was for a tattoo that is based off the concept of Amor Fati, but I didn't like the deterministic attitude of it so I wanted an element of fate 'falling short'.

The ideal would be a a merge of the two concepts , something akin to love of fate, fate fails - hence, if fati deficiente is accurate, a script that read amor fati deficiente would be great. Aside from butchering the language, it could hold that dual meaning to be read in two ways amor fati and fati deficiente.

I hope I have made some sense and haven't insulted anyone by my attempts to butcher a language.

Can anyone help me out please?

Many thanks :)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Amor fati deficientis would translate to "Love of fate which falls short/Love of failing fate". The concept doesn't make much sense to me in English, tbh, but if you want a faithful Latin translation of it, that would work.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

If you do decide to go simply with "Fate failed", Fatum defecit would be the most straightforward translation, to my mind.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

and been told translations such as fatorum defuit, fati deficiente and defectum fatum. As someone with no Latin experience my head is spinning.
Whoever gave you these translations doesn't seem to have been helped very much by their own Latin experience, to put it bluntly. Fatorum defuit is not a grammatically coherent sentence, and neither is fati deficiente. Defectum fatum would translate as "weak/worn out fate".

D

Deleted member 13757

to fall short in a sense of to not measure up to could be rendered in latin as fallere spem

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

fatum deliquit = fate was lacking / failed

fatum non suffecit = fate did not suffice / fate was wanting