Favorite period, favorite emperor, favorite person

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I can't see them all either, unless I shrink my screen.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I can't see them all either, unless I shrink my screen.

I wouldn't suspect there were more beyond... It makes perfect sense to end in Constantine, thinking about Rome. :think: Thinking about Latin though...

After Constantinus there were the Valentiniani and the Theodosii... But they are less known. I believe Constantinus is the last famous emperor. (Even if someone has heard the name of Theodosius, they probably won't know what the heck he did, or even that there were two with the same name. Also, he does sound like a Byzantine emperor already, and it is a fact that the capital of the Empire by then wasn't Rome anymore.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I can only see until Claudius, and a little less than half the face of Marcus Aurelius.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I'm going to be romantic and put my name to Emperor Julian (apostate) the last noble pagan and for a person, Symmachus; the orator and traditionalist who made the great appeal for Victory to remain in the senate against overwhelming christian resistance.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm going to be romantic and put my name to Emperor Julian (apostate) the last noble pagan and for a person, Symmachus; the orator and traditionalist who made the great appeal for Victory to remain in the senate against overwhelming christian resistance.

I had to check... I was in doubt about where he was. But he was after Constantinus, which makes sense, because it was when Christianity (at least in nomenclature) entered Roman government. After Iulianus and Iovianus came Valentinianus, which wasn't so fanatic. I think things got worse with one of the Theodosii, the second one, if I'm not mistaken, which was emperor in Constatinopolis, of the Eastern half of the empire. The son of Arcadius, son of the first Theodosius. Arcadius' brother Honorius was the Western emperor when Rome was sacked and who was the one to take the fame of abandoning Britannia. I believe Theodosius "nepos" was the one who dismissed the last Vestal priestess.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd like to know what made all the emperors (all the Roman nobles and would be nobles really) from some point begin to get Flavius as a sort of a praenomen...

Julian was called Flavius Claudius Iulianus. Everybody (emperors and nobles) was called Flavius. Even the Visigoth kings took the name...

There's a reason for the diffusion of Aurelius (the edict of Caracalla), but not for everybody being called Flavius...

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Do you guys know all the emperors, or do you get lost?
Some of my friends know the entire emperor list (including the years of their rule).
I know up to the 6 emperors of 235 AD, I think, though not the exact dates for most of them.

Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero — Julio-Claudians
Galba, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian, Titus, Domitian — 4 emperors of 69 AD, and then the Flavians
Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius (with Lucius Verus) — 5 Good Emperors
Commodus — not really part of any grouping, but son of M. Aurelius
Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Septimius Severus, Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus (usurpers) — 5 emperors of 193 AD, and Sept. Sev. is the beginning of the Severan dynasty
Caracalla (with his brother Geta until he murdered him), Macrinus, Elagabalus, Severus Alexander* — Rest of the Severans
Maximinus Thrax, Gordian I and Gordian II, Balbinus and Pupienus**, Gordian III (6 emperors of 235 AD)

*this is an anagram of "Asexual Reverend", for those who are interested in such things
**this name sounds funny to an immature English speaker if pronounced out loud

OK, just checked, my list is correct except I forgot Macrinus' son Diadumenianus co-ruling with him.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

In terms of the original question, "Favorite period, favorite emperor, favorite person"

I don't really have a favorite period but I have some least favorite periods:
- the Samnite Wars (really any of the stuff from the sack of Rome to the beginning of the Pyrrhic War)
- 202-133 BC (end of 2nd Punic to beginning of Tib. Gracchus' tribunate), with some exceptions because there are a fair number of interesting events during this period
- the barracks emperors in the 3rd century that didn't really do anything important

My favorite period of Latin literature is the Silver Age though.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Severus Alexander*

*this is an anagram of "Asexual Reverend", for those who are interested in such things
I should hope that everyone here is.

Synchronicity strikes again: I had earlier today considered posting that there was a horse of that name running for the first time in a handicap, and to be ridden for the first time by the son of the trainer, both of which factors might bring about unexpected improvement. But I didn't, possibly because I couldn't decide whether to post it on the Every Visit thread or the Names Thread or the Horse Racing one – or here, for that matter. In any case, it was a non-runner, so you might want to look out for it next time (though this is doubtful).

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius (with Lucius Verus) — 5 Good Emperors
Commodus — not really part of any grouping, but son of M. Aurelius

They count Commodus as part (a sad part, but a part) of the Nerva-Antonines...

Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Septimius Severus, Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus (usurpers) — 5 emperors of 193 AD, and Sept. Sev. is the beginning of the Severan dynasty
Caracalla (with his brother Geta until he murdered him), Macrinus, Elagabalus, Severus Alexander* — Rest of the Severans
I think Macrinus was "anti Severos"... (I have to check that.)

Maximinus Thrax, Gordian I and Gordian II, Balbinus and Pupienus**, Gordian III (6 emperors of 235 AD)

OK, just checked, my list is correct except I forgot Macrinus' son Diadumenianus co-ruling with him.
The Gordiani were in the same year, with the other two. It all ended up with Gordianus Pius (Gordian III), who died young, but in battle (not murdered...).

That's a good list!

After them come the post-Gordianos (Philippus Arabus, Traianus Decius, Trebonianus Gallus), the Licinii (Valerianus and Gallienus), the post-Licinii (Claudius Gothicus, Domitius Aurelianus, Claudius Tacitus, Aurelius Probus, Aurelius Carus, Aurelius Carinus, Aurelius Numerianus), and the Tetrarchy, with Diocletianus, Maximianus +2. Then the Constantini. Then the Valentiniani, which were few, then the Theodosii, and the last "puppet emperors". In the East, after the Theodosii, the Leonidae, and then the Iustiniani.

Rome was taken by the time of the Leonidae in the east. Iustinianus tryed to recover Italy, but never completely succeeded.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

The Gordiani were in the same year, with the other two. It all ended up with Gordianus Pius (Gordian III), who died young, but in battle (not murdered...).
Yes, that's exactly what I said, they were all in the same year

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris