Favourite Quotes on Languages

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

...to fit the eager learners' spirit of our forum :hugegrin:

Here is one of mine:
"Any language begins as music and ends up being an algebra."
Andre-Marie Amp`ere, French mathematician and physicist (1775–1836)

Our evil wishers would like to say that this applies to Latin only, but they would be WRONG :snooty:

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

One of those quotable quotes I often remember when I get a fit of... well... hot temper (rarely happens, though! :D )

In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer.
- Mark Twain

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I agree with that quote Andy. That's why I hate how much profanity is used in America. It's not that I find it vulgar per se, it's that it trivializes it, so that when you really are in, as Twain puts it, "desperate circumstances", you don't have a word to turn to so as to express yourself.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

quemquem me facis dixit:
I agree with that quote Andy. That's why I hate how much profanity is used in America. It's not that I find it vulgar per se, it's that it trivializes it, so that when you really are in, as Twain puts it, "desperate circumstances", you don't have a word to turn to so as to express yourself.
Agreed. And all this just leads to the creation of even nastier words... we've come a long way since "Heck".

Volatica Aquila

I work as an English tutor at my university, and this is on the wall in our office:

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

-Winston Churchill

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Heh. He could've just said "which I will not tolerate"...but I guess then the wit would've been gone.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

amantissima dixit:
Language exerts hidden power, like a moon on the tides.
- Rita Mae Brown
I agree, particularly if you've heard of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. The more languages you know and the better you understand the concept of Grammar, the better is your understanding of the world and its workings.

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Our Latin professor said that Woody Allen had a funny quote regarding Latin or something, someone asked him about conjugating something and he said "I'm sorry but I'll have to decline." lol. I thought it was really funny.

nequam

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A thing can be excellent unto itself, though ultimately useless, a bowel movement for example...

An old boy friend on my fascination with res latinae, not sure where he got it?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Ah, youth. With experience one comes to appreciate that a bowel movement is useless only insofar as one's own continued existence is useless.

Charles V is supposed to have said:

Je parle espagnol à Dieu, italien aux femmes, français aux homes, et allemande à mon cheval.

And Goethe something like

Wer fremde Sprachen nicht kennt, weiβ nichts von seiner eigenen.

But these may both be apocryphal-- I have not been able to find an original source for either.