Fear Nothing

A

Anonymous

Translation of title for newsletter submission.

i apologize for registering on your forum for the purpose of asking for your assistance in translating the title of a submission (my personal experiences) to the Depression and Bipolar Support Association (DBSA-DuPage Co, IL Chapter) newsletter.

New members like myself are asked to introduce themselves and to describe their goals in attaining a self sustaining lifestyle in the monthly newsletter. I have make some progress on the introduction, but nothing yet on the goals.

However, I do know what I would like to use as the title but in english it would tend to set a tone for my "column" before I got to the point where i explain the reason for having done so.

make any sense? probably not but when i finish my submission i will post a copy here if that would be ok to do

The title i would like to use is "Fear Nothing!" It doesn't mean that I don't fear anything. It is a command/order, something my father used to scream at us when we were younger and were hesitant to do things that other kids would do without a thought (ie ride a bicycle, go outside after sunset, swim in the deep end, etc)

sorry, probably too personal but i would greatly appreciate your assistance if someone could translate the title of my story: "Fear Nothing!"

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Re: translation of title for newsletter submission

nihil time - would be if you are commanding one person to fear nothing.

nihil timete - if you are commanding a group of people to fear nothing.

*wait for other suggestions also before deciding on a final version. For there are many ways to say this in Latin.

B

Bitmap

I'm afraid that's not right; at least in classical Latin you'd need a prohibitive subjunctive here:

Nihil timueris or ne quid timueris

Zombye

Bitmap dixit:
I'm afraid that's not right; at least in classical Latin you'd need a prohibitive subjunctive here:

Nihil timueris or ne quid timueris
Where may I find information on how Romans thought of such negatives?

A

Anonymous

i'm sorry to ask and no offence to anyone but is it safe to say that no one has significant concern with the translation of "No Fear" in English, to "ne quid timueris" in latin. if that is correct, is everything capitalized, small case, or did they use sentence case as in english?

Thank you,

pmm

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

fear nothing dixit:
is everything capitalized, small case, or did they use sentence case as in english?
Small case is a later invention, and sentence case is later still. Roman cursive is illegible to modern eyes, but the inscriptions that you see on monuments and Roman Rustic are what we would call capitals. You can see a (somewhat modern looking) example of a Roman Rustic font at http://www.jeff-jackson.com/fonts.html.s

Blue12

I would like to get this tattooed on my side and wanted to make sure I was 100% spot on before getting it.

So far I have

Nihil timendum est
nihil time

What is the correct translation for "Fear Nothing"?

Thanks

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

well, nihil timendum est would mean more like nothing is to be feared.

maybe nihil time should be switched around to time nihil. buuut, you should definitely wait for more input.

also, you can use nil instead of nihil.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

and i forgot we were in the latin to english board.
:p

miroslaw

The official motto of No. 501 (County of Gloucester) Squadron, RAF Regiment is : Nil Time - Fear nothing

I hope this information be any help.

Best regards.

B

Bitmap

miroslaw dixit:
The official motto of No. 501 (County of Gloucester) Squadron, RAF Regiment is : Nil Time - Fear nothing
that's funny because it's wrong.
it should be ni(hi)l timueris

miroslaw

Bitmap dixit:
miroslaw dixit:
that's funny because it's wrong.
it should be ni(hi)l timueris
Quote:
"501 Squadron is affiliated with the County of Gloucester and the squadron crest depicts the White Boar of Gloucestershire, renowned for its ferocity & tenacity, mounted above the Latin motto "Nil Time", which translates as "Fear Nothing".
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/ab ... uadron.cfm

Quote fragment :
[...] Nihil and Nemo. You can also express negative commands by using nihil (or nil) as the object of the imperative, e.g. Nil time. The word nemo works the same way, e.g. Neminem laede. Don't forget to review those passive imperative forms, too; e.g. Nihil mentire. You can also use the present subjunctive, e.g. Nil recrastines, or the perfect subjunctive, e.g. Neminem riseris, and Nihil temere credideris." http://canvas.instructure.com/courses/2 ... nd-sayings

Quote :
"Tiny Mottoes: Today's tiny motto is: Nil timeo (English: I fear nothing). http://bestlatin.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

Quote:
Fac recte et nil time - Do rightly and fear nothing.
http://wonder.riverwillow.com.au/home_e ... ayings.htm

B

Bitmap

miroslaw dixit:
or the perfect subjunctive
this is the only correct way - at least in classical prose. Using a present subjunctive may work as well, but that would give you an optative

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

oh, because, with nil it's a negative command? :oops: like ne timueris. just add nothing.
could one say ne timeas, too? or is that just my faulty memory?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Bitmap dixit:
Using a present subjunctive may work as well, but that would give you an optative
there's your answer

I believe this topic has come up before. The optative was used more in poetry than prose.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Matthaeus dixit:
Bitmap dixit:
Using a present subjunctive may work as well, but that would give you an optative
there's your answer

I believe this topic has come up before. The optative was used more in poetry than prose.
jaysus. i'm all over the place today. is there a facepalm smiley? :facepalm: :roll: