Fearless through faith

A

Anonymous

just another tattoo hunter

:help: Can anyone help translate the phrase "fearless through faith" in Latin--any help would be awesome. Thanks so much.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd take a guess that it's something like "Per fide, intrepidus", but my grammar is atrocious and you should let a more knowledgeable Latin Forum member correct that.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Marius, I won't give you the answer, but instead merely hint that per takes an accusative.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Per fidem, intrepidus", then? I am woefully behind in my Latin studies, and I'm unfamiliar with whatever declension fides belongs to. I can only remember 1st and 2nd declensions as of now (i.e., the easy ones).

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am also wary of similarity to the word "perfidious", which essentially means the opposite of what we're trying to say. :p

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

All accusative singulars end in -m outside of the context of Greek loan-words and such. So fides->fidem.

For the record, fides is 5th declension. Honestly, IMO the 1st and 2nd are harder than the 3rd, 4th and 5th, mainly because once you know the 3rd, you know most of the 4th and 5th, whereas the 1st and 2nd are kind of off on their own. I can run you through the general 3rd (it has some variations), 4th, and 5th sometime if you like.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

1st and 2nd are easy because they fit into the popular notion of Latin nouns ending in -a, -us, -um for feminine, masculine, and neuter. And the paradigms are nearly the same except for the vowel.

Also, however, because 1st and 2nd are introduced first, and therefore I've had more practice.

What I really need to do is get back into working out of Wheelock's. I'll have it before long if I do that; I've just been busy.