Fellow gamers...

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
anyone else remember SINISTAR? Games like those were so simple, and yet had such depth...obviously dependent on human imagination, but still; that's the beauty.
I never played Sinistar, but I too think that games like those are what you'd call pure. Colors, shapes, scoring bonuses, power-ups. Those things are Video Games, no matter how finely clad in 4k graphics and 'narrative-driven stealth combat' (Sekiro).
I've been looking for one of those good old space blaster, bullet-hell type of games myself.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Actually, the dunkmeister clued me in to a couple here, but I don't have Steam so I can't play Zeroranger. :(

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Long as you get to unload on the bad guys, the finer points such as 'storyline' and 'gameplay' are left to rot.
It's trully sad that narrative driven single player experience is neglected by game developers like Ubisoft (I am talking of failures like recent Assassin's Creed installments; Far Cry series ; Watch Dogs series etc.)

Nota Bene : not that I hate Ubisoft; I really enjoyed their previous titles like tactical shooters - Rainbow Six Vegas 2; Ghost Recon Future Soldier + Wildlands; and I really enjoyed the first installment of The Division

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Ubisoft definitely knows what they're about... most of the time. Plus, their more recent logo looks like the Dreamcast one, and the Dreamcast is kami-sama's gift to this wretched sekai.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Plus, their more recent logo looks like the Dreamcast one, and the Dreamcast is kami-sama's gift to this wretched sekai.
Good ol' Sega.... I miss Sonic Adventure....

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Aren't there emulated versions of those old games to be found online?

There was a game a good while back, I think I was in my late teens that I played around my mates and ended up borrowing his machine to play it. It's the only time I became addicted to a game. For a week or so I played it every night.

But it wasn't a game as such, it was so strange. Most the time I would be walking around in the pitch black and fog. If I recall it was like a mystery horror where I had to solve things. I think I got to a derelect school then started not liking it. Too much, too dark.

I forget the game and the machine but it was good graphics.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Bitmap dixit:
Aren't there emulated versions of those old games to be found online?
Why, coytainly. Although they're all 'less than legal'. :oops:
Hawkwood dixit:
If I recall it was like a mystery horror where I had to solve things. I think I got to a derelect school then started not liking it. Too much, too dark.
Hmm, I might just know the one you're describing, but I too have forgotten the name. Did you say it was on the Dreamcast?

Godmy

A Monkey
Nah, Hemo, I think all of those NES, SNES (and older) games are pretty much what you would call "an abandonware", nobody sells them anymore, nobody sells the consoles anymore, nobody makes them, nobody cares, the companies usually don't exist anymore, the games are on the web more or less for free, facing no danger of a sanction from anyone. It's just been a too long time. The same applies for most DOS games too.

Not sure on the games machine. Maybe playstation as that's the one that's popular over here, I think. It was foggy and dark and you went about solving things. Really unsettling, l lasted a week or so then my arse went.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
The dream simulator game?

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Nah, Hemo, I think all of those NES, SNES (and older) games are pretty much what you would call "an abandonware", nobody sells them anymore, nobody sells the consoles anymore, nobody makes them, nobody cares, the companies usually don't exist anymore, the games are on the web more or less for free, facing no danger of a sanction from anyone. It's just been a too long time. The same applies for most DOS games too.
Yeah, I guess you're right. And even if it were illegal, it's the internet... 'Everything belongs to everyone', так говорят. :no-clue:
Hawkwood dixit:
It was foggy and dark and you went about solving things. Really unsettling, l lasted a week or so then my arse went.
Oh, jeez, it's gotta be Silent Hill, then. I was trying to think of something more obscure.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Or Resident Evil, come to think of it. That's probably more difficult in terms of puzzle-solving. I never played either.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Been playing Days Gone for couple of days. It's no way near such titles like GR Wildlands, RDR2 or TLOU; but I think it's really good (nice story concept, overall gaming mechanics etc. - IMO a perfect appetizer while awaiting Death Stranding)

Laurentius

Civis Illustris
I only play a Star Wars MMORPG lately, but I might start Red Dead Redemption 2 tonight. Had it for a while but I hate America so it bothered me to play it.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Laurentius dixit:
but I hate America
How can you hate a nation founded on the slaughtered bones of exploited natives? & how can you not relish a video game that spins the early rootin'-tootin', corn-shuckin', cigar-smokin' gunslinger asshat as a true hero?

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Put simply, who's more heroic? John Wayne or John Wayne Gacy?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris
How can you hate a nation founded on the slaughtered bones of exploited natives? & how can you not relish a video game that spins the early rootin'-tootin', corn-shuckin', cigar-smokin' gunslinger asshat as a true hero?
Oh it's not really about that, it's just that some tradthot from there rejected me to get with some prettyboy pervert I used to know. I even like Spaghetti Western movies so perhaps I'll enjoy it. The guy from the first chapter didn't seem an asshat though, hope I won't have to play as one on this sequel. I'm gonna make a gunslinger on the SW MMORPG too, they are cool.