Festina Lente

Aulus Platius

i am teaching myself latin and i am currently stumped on this phrase...it looks easy to me but what does it say...
--Festina Lente--
i think it says, he/she makes haste slowly...

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Latn is a great language to learn! ;)

'festina lente' means make haste/hurry slowly, i.e., it is imperative

TheLatinPoet

Festina Lente is powerful advice

"Hastily Slowly" Festina Lente ... is compact advice telling someone so many things that you could write a book about it. "First Accuracy - Then Speed," is what I've learned and teach others who train in martial arts ... otherwise an injury from a hasty advancement will set us back for quite awhile.

It's another way of saying to maintain sure-footing in progressing to a destination either physically (travelling) or mentally (learning) ... so that we don't end up retracing our steps.

I like that Festina Lente !!! Thanks!

Actually I didn't say a word different than Akela did ... I was just excited at the powerful simplicity of the advice. I agree with Akela about Latin being a great language to learn.

TheLatinPoet

Yes ... I agree ... and I realize I am guilty of not following the advice given by Festina Lente

I could be wrong, but I believe the most practical interpretation of Festina Lente is to Advance Slowly.

My reason for this is I believe -ina means into/towards (and I emphasize I'm definitely NOT an authority on Latin and probably have less exposure than the rest of the forum members).

So to make haste into one would advance ... so perhaps the only possible reason anyone would want someone to make haste slowly (literal translation) is that they would wish for them to advance slowly (meaningful translation)

I did a Google search for "Advance Slowly" (both words in quotations) and found many military references where it's used.

WOW!!! Guess what? This very moment I just did a Google search for "Make Haste Slowly" (all three words in quotes) so I can compare and share with you. You won't believe it! There's a site called MakeHasteSlowly.com Check out what is says at the very bottom of the site about "Festina lente" being a favorite saying of Augustus Caesar. And considering that right there it says that Augustus applied this saying mostly to warfare, I can now imagine Augustus telling his troops to Advance Slowly.

I hope this makes up for my blunder ... thanks Jordan for catching it.

Livia

Jordana :)

I've seen several websites named after famous Latin sayings. This seems to be a relatively popular thing. Unfortunately I no longer remember the URLs...