FIDELIBUS CORONUM VITAE DABO

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I've a quick question....?

My grandad always used to say a phrase in latin to me as a child, it was a parting comment when I'd leave the house and he'd would sign off birthday cards with it. It meant a lot to me....

It was:

"FIDELIBUS CORONUM VITAE DABO"

Which he always told me was translated as....

"To the faithful I will give the crown of life"

My grandad has since passed on and at the funeral I decided to have his phrase tattooed in memory of him....

However I have never been 100% sure of the spelling, I moved out of the family house many years ago and can't find the old birthday cards he used to write....

I was hoping that someone on this board could correct or verify my spelling as I'd like to get the tattoo next week....

PS: He also used to tell me "IN VINO VERITAS" meant
"The truth is beautiful" so you can understand that although I loved him dearly I'm in need of confirmation before I get myself inked....

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The second word should be coronam, the rest of it is correct.

As for the well-known in vino veritas, it means "in wine (or by implication alcoholic beverages in general) there is truth." If I recall it is from Horace, a classical Roman author. It has two somewhat conflicting meanings, one being the positive sentiment that one can find truth while intoxicated, the other a more negative sentiment that people will often say things they do not mean to when they become intoxicated.

A

Anonymous

You're a star QMF...

By the way do you know if it is the correct translation... oh and is it fairly Religous?

I get the impression it was something Jesus was supposed to have said to someone?

Cheers
Simon

technics1986

tattoo

Hi i see your getting a tattoo in latin and i am also getting a phrase written but i am undecided on the font to use?

Do you have any ideas??

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

It looks like Revelations 2:10 is the closest thing to your granddad's phrase -- next closest is James 1:12 but Rev 2:10 is closer:
=========
nihil horum timeas
quae passurus es
ecce missurus est diabolus
ex vobis in carcerem
ut temptemini
et habebitis tribulationem diebus decem
esto fidelis usque ad mortem
et dabo tibi coronam vitae
=========
May thou fearest nothing of the things
which thou art about to endure
behold the devil is about to send
[some] of ye into prison
in order that ye may be tempted
and ye will have tribulation for ten days
be thou faithful until death
and I will give thee the crown of life
=========
Hmm..mixing up singular and plural thou and ye...not sure why....

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Odd...I thought I responded to this with pretty much the same thing as you, scrabblehack, having looked up the quote on google, found it was related to Revelation 2:10, and then compared the Vulgate to SHELF's request. I wonder what happened.

Nonetheless, I concur with scrabblehack.

A

Anonymous

Re: tattoo

technics1986 dixit:
Hi i see your getting a tattoo in latin and i am also getting a phrase written but i am undecided on the font to use?

Do you have any ideas??
I'm going to look at it now.... The most important thing is size, ii the letters are too small they will blur.. I prefer curviture so will choose a style and post it....

A

Anonymous

I like 'Castellar' and 'Copperplate Gothic Bold' but will take a sample of both and ask the artist his opinion and how to adapt that samples....